charging problem

Guest FOX49

Guest FOX49

89 TC Maserati with intermitant charging problem. System went to Limp in mode lest week (all electrical functions cease; alternator charged at about 10v ) The next day it was fine. Temporarily. Then back to Limp in. I have wiggled and cleaned many connections with no possitive results . please HELP.Thanks for info I have got in the past

Negative battery cable may have an internal break you can't see.

Alternator can be going bad or wiring to/from may be going bad.

Voltage regulator can be going bad.

Bad/loose negative ground.

Loose connections to fuse panel.

Fusible links may be going bad.

Electrical gremlins are the worst.

Hi,

First thing I would check are the battery terminals and wires. Corrosion equalls no juice... clean top of battery and terminals with 2 tbs baking soda, in a pint of warm water. paint this on the battery and those terminals. it will foam up if all is working well. If it foams real good anywhere wait about 5 min. and do that again. flush with water, remove battery terminals clean battery posts and inside (Connecting) surface with battery post cleaning tool. or small wire brush. Check those wires where they connect. Check all around the engine for any braided wire grounds that may be broken or loose.. follow the heavy black wire from the positive battery post to the torpedo shaped connector behind the battery.pull it open & check to see if it is loose, dirty or corroded .. Good Luck,, Lou

Guest FOX49

New alternator has fixed the problem. First alternator I have ever had to replace. I guess they do go bad sometimes. FOX49