New 91 Owner!

Guest jcrules78

Guest jcrules78

Hey guys, new 91 Coupe owner here! She is VIN number 676. I have wanted one of these for 10 years now and I finally found a nice one! And a rare one too!!! I am curious if anyone knows what is up when your ECM is telling you you have a current issue with MAF sensor voltage being low (code 34). This is the only code I can't clear from the computer and it has the tell tale c following it. Is this some thing I can fix myself, or does it mean my MAF sensor is shot. I had an 88 IROC Z with TPI before this car and I know that MAF sensor was expensive to replace. Any ideas?

JCRULZ

Guest MauiWowee

Welcome.

Try a search on the subject. I believe cleaning the sensor has been discussed, or try Ronnies website HERE . I haven't had the pleasure myself yet. Please post a pic of your '91. cool.gif

Welcome to the forum!

The FSM (Field Service Manual) says the code is set when there is no signal sent to the ECM of 4 seconds or more. Could be a bad connection of a bad MAF sensor.

You can go to reatta.net and register for a free online FSM. Click on the 'Documents' sections to find it. The FSM has a flow chart to help diagnose the MAF sensor.

Guest jcrules78

I will post soon, I haven't had time to really get her nice and clean for a photoshoot. I just got my Reatta on Monday, and I haven't had any time to enjoy her with all of life's other things in the way. Wow that Maui blue is beautiful! I have only seen a red, white and black Reatta in person, never a blue one. What is the last 4 digits of your VIN?

JCRULZ

PS I have done a search and I haven't seen anything regarding the MAF sensor voltage being low. Anyone else have any input about that code?

Guest jcrules78

Nice! Thanks Ronnie, I will definitely subscribe for that field guide, and God I hope that MAF sensor isn't faulty because I am sure it won't be cheap to find one of those for a 91!!!

JCRULZ

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcrules78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow that Maui blue is beautiful! I have only seen a red, white and black Reatta in person, never a blue one. What is the last 4 digits of your VIN?</div></div>

I will look up the VIN tomorrow. Also, PM your VIN, ext. color, int color, trim color, and options to Barney, the keeper of the Reatta database.

Isn't the 91 Reatta motor the same on countless 90s tuned port motors? If so, it should be simple to find one in the salvage yards. I know when I finally got disgusted with the sticking butterfly on my 91 Ranger 4.0, I found a MAF for it for under $20 [it was half price day at the pull-ur-part yard].

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't the 91 Reatta motor the same on countless 90s tuned port motors? If so, it should be simple to find one in the salvage yards. I know when I finally got disgusted with the sticking butterfly on my 91 Ranger 4.0, I found a MAF for it for under $20 [it was half price day at the pull-ur-part yard]. </div></div>

Yes, You'd look for any "L" VIN code 3.8L

Guest jcrules78

Well that makes me feel better that the L VIN 3800 is common, any ideas on what other cars have this engine? I have to check and see if Barney got my VIN info and if I am good to use that service manual, I did that a few days ago.

JCRULZ

Guest F14CRAZY

The GM fiberglas minivans, Lesabre, Park Avenue, Bonneville, Regal, Eighty Eight, Ninety Eight, LSS, Toronado, Riviera...