1964 98 custom sport coupe

Pat

I need to replace the exhaust on my 98 and need to know if these could be had with the chambered exhaust like the Starfires. I had gotten a set for my Starfire and like the sound. Also, what was the trans set up for a manual 65 Starfire? 4 spd or 3 and was it an M20?

Per shop books, parts books and sales literature only Starfire and Jetstar I had the chambered/resonator exhaust. Ninety Eight and S88 with Starfire engines used regular mufflers and rear resonators. That's not saying you couldn't put them on a Ninety Eight.

Did you use the Sweet-Thunder Starfire chambered sections? What did you use for front resonators? Took me years to find a GM pair; I had picked up a couple sets of InParCo which I'll hang on to, but wanted NOS GM if I could find them. I expected the car to be "barky" with the chambered pipes, but it's remarkably quiet unless you romp it.

65 Starfires could have M40 TurboHydraMatic or M20 Saginaw 4-speed unit.

I think that's where I got em. It was out of MI but I'd have to look up the reciept. The local shop put some small mufflers on and round resonators in back. I have one NOS rear resonator but not the second and have not found the inner ones ever. I will put the 98 more to stock, just figured I'd chamber them if it was optional. Thanks fot the info.

• 3 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Per shop books, parts books and sales literature only Starfire and Jetstar I had the chambered/resonator exhaust. Ninety Eight and S88 with Starfire engines used regular mufflers and rear resonators. That's not saying you couldn't put them on a Ninety Eight.

Did you use the Sweet-Thunder Starfire chambered sections? What did you use for front resonators? Took me years to find a GM pair; I had picked up a couple sets of InParCo which I'll hang on to, but wanted NOS GM if I could find them. I expected the car to be "barky" with the chambered pipes, but it's remarkably quiet unless you romp it.

65 Starfires could have M40 TurboHydraMatic or M20 Saginaw 4-speed unit. </div></div>

In my experience, the M20 trans in these cars is a long-tail Muncie unit, with the reverse lever on the tail housing.