belt tensioner

Guest ekvh

Since replacing the water pump, timing cover gaskets and seals, my 88 has developed a chatter at idle. I got out to observe it while running and the belt tensioner is jumping back and forth a bit. When I have it in gear, step on the gas and hold the brake to put a little load on it, it steadies and there is no chatter. The pulley spins free and quiet without the belt on it. I read the FSM and they give a procedure with a special tool to check the tensioner.

I don't have or want the special gm tool. Does anyone know another way to check it? Is there any adjustment for the tensioner? Any advice wil be appreciated. Could it be something else in the serpentine group that is causing the tugging on the tensioner?

What would cause it to jump? It is a bit worn. It might be wise to replace it and keep this for my break-down one in the trunk. I suppose they are not cheap either.

Guest Mike_s

Mine had an intermitent miss that would cause the tensioner to jump.

The AC cluch engaging and disengaging will change the tension on the belt

Guest Drake

I was having a similar chatter coming from mine. At first it sounded like the power steering pump. After using the Poor Mechanics Stethoscope, I pinpointed the noise coming from the tensioner. I had replaced the pulley a week earlier.

I then placed a couple of shop towels under & around the tensioner, And carefully sprayed white lithium grease in the seams where the tensioner rocks back and forth. I also used an 18mm socket and pry bar to manually move the tensioner back & forth. I did this three times, and the chatter was gone. Hope this helps.

How do you know if the harmonic balancer is bad? I had it off when I did the timing cover seals. The rubber around the edges was weather cracked but appeared to be solid still.

Guest dpannell

EKVH, The cracking is the first sign of failure.....You may also be able to hear an unusual noise at idle. Best bet would be to replace it if you're keeping the car. Dave

Guest ekvh

Update: waiting for a new harmonic balancer. after returning from a 110 mile trip home, I grabbed the balancer in my hand and it twists back and forth about an inch within the rubber. I think I'll let it sit a while until I get me new one. Fourth of July will probably put of another weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Squire Tom

just had the same thing at 106 k miles. if you can hand turn the pulley , watch the bolt that holds it on. if it does not move with the pulley , the balancer is going gonzo.

engine sounds like a coffee can with rocks at idle. raise the rpm a little and the noise goes away.

wrench said to get oem as he has had problems with the balance job performed on the after market parts.

has had to re do too many jobs.