Serial #, Engine #, Body # Question

1935Packard

I know how to read the serial number on the data plate screwed on to the cowl for my Packard. But is there anything similar to "read" from the engine number on the engine block or the body number embossed onto the cowl? I figure these numbers must have meant something at some point, but I wondered if that meaning has been lost. Does anyone know if the engine numbers or body numbers contain any useful info?

I believe there is nothing to read from the embossed number in the cowl. It is from what I have read an antitheft ID.

The serial number on the engine should fit between certain serial number range for engines for that year. These numbers are available in Packard publications.

Guest 51Patty400

Not sure about your car but the first letter on the block of my engine defines the year of the car. J 51, K 52, L 53

Etc.

- Mark

Thanks, all.

Tbirdman, I ended up checking with the Kimes book and the engine number matched the time period I was thinking: my car has one of the last serial numbers for the series, and its engine number was one of the last for the series, as well.