1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Auto Start

I am working on a 1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible, the body and engine is in fine shape. The car was bought in Arizona and is virtually rust free, except for the inside. The car was stored for many years with the top up and folded down into the trunk. Seats are in terrible shape but I have them out and at the upholster shop.

My problem is water must have sat inside the vehicle for long periods of time and all the relays and window switches are rusted totally. I am looking for these parts, any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Auto Start.....972-436-8111

autostart@msn.com

Rob

There is a guy by the name of John Cashman that goes around the country fixing slabsides. He's the renowned expert on these and Skyliners, since they used virtually the same mechanism.

You should go to http://thelincolnforum.net for lots of helpful information about these cars. Do a search for John Cashman's name and I'm sure you'll find a way to get ahold of him.

I believe the relay rack has one or two more relays than the T-bird. I believe someone was working on an electronic version that didn't require any maintenance. Some of our club members have replaced their relays with off-the-shelf "ice-cube" relays designed to work on 12-volts. There are also heavy duty relays used in the air bag systems used on lowriders.

The way the relays are mounted in my non-convertible Lincolns they shouldn't be damaged internally. The relay cover acts as a weather shield. The biggest problem I've encountered with top and window switches is dirty or mismatched contacts or lubricants that have turned to stone.

They're really pretty simple devices to rebuild. The only problem I can see is if the connection on the bottom of the fiber board is corroded. That would be easy to fix with a wire brush and some solder.