Transmission filter #'s

Does anyone have the part #'s for transmission filter for an 89 and 90 auto TC? I went in to Autozoned to get filters and fluid and the guy tells me "They don't have a fliter, at least not one you can change without taking the tranny apart" shocked.gif I know you gotta drop the pan, but a tear down??

Hmmmm...I know Lou has changed fluid and filters in his but I don't recall him giving a breakdown of how to tear the tranny apart!! eek.gif .... Also, can someone point me to a thread in the forum that addresses how to replace the filter. Thanks Guys!!

Brian

Alpar suggests use only Mopar filters. I have used both Mopar & NAPA, Definately, Definately, Definately, only use Mopar +4 fluid. all others are Bull****.

Lift car,loosen all bolts 2 turns, start at rear inside corner,remove that corner bolt first, put drain pan under that corner to catch oil, remove bolts 1 at a time going right then left, then right then left until you are at he last 3 screws, tap side of pan, pan will drop with inside rear corner as lowest point this will allow all oil to drain at 1 point, as oil drains loosen the last three bolts gradually. only remove completely after you have drained all oil that you can. Remove filter Check mounting holes & gasket carefully between old & new. Clean mating surfaces, you will use RTV (silicone) as a gasket to reinstall pan.

There is a rectangular opening in the back area of the trans (inside the pan). That is the differential section of the trans, and it will drain for a week, Unless you suck out some oil. Do that after you have the surfaces clean and RTV ribbon on pan mating surface make sure filter is mounted correctly, and rewipe trans mating surface, to get that last drip put up pan & install every other bolt loosely. install other bolts snug then tighteb all bolts..

Good Luck, Lou

• 3 weeks later...