Sewing machine for new top and seats

wenthur

Bought an old sewing machine just for this heavy material, came out of a factory, It looks to be made in the 60"s. Is there special material to re-do touring tops? I have the old one for a pattern. If man can make it we should be able to re-do his work Oh buy the way the "29 furl truck got a resleeved master cylinger and now brakes are great.

TodY THE GRANDKIDS ARE VISITING, SO THE "24 TOURING GETS A NICE RIDE THROUGH TOWN.

Have had some experience in auto upholstery but have never made a top from scratch.

The same material used to make convertible tops should be what you are looking for, but where you get it I don't know. All our tops came ready made.

Be careful about making the pattern from the old top, the material shrinks over time and it doesn't shrink evenly.

You might want to develop your own patterns, slightly larger than the old top and with the lines straightened out.

Make a test top out of bed sheets or some cheap cloth. Your finished product will come out better and you won't waste any material.

Hi- I agree with Rusty, it is never a good idea to use old tops as patterns; use them as reference only to see how things were fitted and sewed together. I have done many early tops from scratch (wood bow style), if you want me to write a description of the steps to do it, email me at d_coco@hphood.com and I will write it and send you a copy. Not that difficult, but you must follow steps in a sequence, and you must understand how the top holds itself together, to have a nice tight job. David Coco Winchester Va.