Ordered My Rims

<A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=Fox+5&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted" TARGET=_blank>Sports Edition Fox 5</A><P>I ordered my rims last night and they should be in sometime next week. I am gonna go with 225/50/17 tires. Probally Falkens.<P>Gimme some feedback.<P>Also, will a 245/45/17 tire fit? What is the largest width I can go on the tire without damaging things.<p>[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: 90RedReatta ]

Well 225x60x16 tires & 16x7 38mm offset rims on mine fit nicely but are very close at lock in the front, my offset has the tires about 8 mm (about 3/8") further out (factory appears to be 46 mm).<P>245 is going to be 10mm (about 1/2") more width on each side so would have to check for contact at full lock each way on the inner fender liners - tire contact can wear a hole very quickly. Keep in mind that no two cars will be exacly alike in clearance, I would not be surprised at .250" (1/4") difference in clearance between the tire and the fender liner even side to side.<P>And then if you plan to drive hard, the tire is going to move with relation to the wheel. Very low sidewalls (45) will minimise the movement but I had to leave 2" of clearance on the sides of my B/P Corvette or things would rub, particularly in front.<P>Consequently the best thing is to measure your wheels tires carefully and measure the clearances on your car. Best to leave at least an inch everywhere around the tire. Measure turned full one way and then full the other. The wheels only need about 1/4" clearance but make sure you allow for wheel weight clearances. Finally make certain thay there is not going to be rubbing between the outer edge of the tire and the wheel wells in a hard corner (difficult but you can sight it somewhat).<P>Let us know what you wind up with.<P>ps wheels look nice.<P>Now will admit that a large part of my wheel/tire selection was based on cost and commonality with my other cars (Bonneville has same size). Also Michelin X-Ones are not the cheapest tires around but in Florida I want the best rain tires around. They should last a while though. (I drive over 20,000 miles a year but almost all on rental cars - maybe 2,000/year on mine & distributed over several cars).

Took an old 245/45/17 tire and removed stock rim and did some figuring and came up with this conclusion -- YEAH RIGHT. It is a close fit. A little too close for me. So Im gonna go wtih 225/50/17. Will let ya know when I get em on and include some pics.