oil pan leak

Guest squiretom

Guest Squire Tom

re did the ac to r 134 and while it was on rack , noticed that oil pan gasket is wet , not enough that regular cleaning won't fix

but

can the pan gasket be changed from underneath without moving the motor . ie can the pan be dropped far enough to replace the gasket ? or is there a lot more involved ?

91 reatta 3800 electronic tranny

Guest F14CRAZY

I can't remember exactly what has to happen but I have dropped the engine pan myself and it's not bad at all. It seems like there's a plastic ring gear shield you have to remove but otherwise its not a bad job..not like you have to remove the motor or anything drastic. You may want to replace the oil level sensor while you're there because they commonly leak

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Squire Tom

got to put it on the rack next week , local wrench says oil pan gasket is probably not leaking. he says they are even re useable.

he wants to look at rear main seal and some other possibilities

any one have any experience in this area ?

will reply next week after we get on the lift and get it cleaned up to trace the leak

thanx for prior help

Guest Drake

Changed mine two months ago. Pretty simple as Phil said. I would be real surprised if the gasket was reusable. Mine came off in two pieces. The rear main seal, that's a different story. Good Luck.

I changed mine and it was really easy. Unlike a lot of other cars, the Reatta Oil pan will come off without much problem. Disconnect the oil level sensor connector, remove the flywheel dust cover, starter and the bolts and it will come right off with a little sliding around to clear the pickup screen. I have the small reduction starter on my engine and I didn't have to remove it but if you have the standard, large starter I believe it will have to come off before removing the pan.

The oil pan seal is not reuseable. Not even the top of the line fel-pro is reuseable. The oil pan gasket will last forever if it is installed correctly and that means torqued right. One other thing, do not over use the black silicone that come with the gasket. A little dab in the corners is enough.

If it is leaking towards the front of the motor it can be the timing cover gasket or the oil filter adapter plate. The adapter plate gasket is <$2 and simple to change. The front cover is a days work for a backyarder. I did the adapter plate three times before I realized it was the cover right next to the adapter. I was losing a quart in 500 miles. There is also a seal in the front cover behind the harmonic balancer which can leak and drizzle down on the oil pan. Sounds like you need to put it in the air, wipe down, start engine, and look for the wet spot.

My Buick Dealer told me that my Reatta had a oil pan gasket leak. After checking it myself, I determined that the "leak" was the result of oil dripping onto it when they changed the oil filter. Needless to say I now have my own wrench do what I am not equipped to handle.

Guest Squire Tom

small world , had it on the rack today , some , not too loose bolts in various places , filter hand tightened almost half turn . hope thats it

inspection plate some film , maybe rear seal starting to leak , but not bad.

will keep cleaning and looking , and hope it was the 'loose' filter.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Squire Tom

got a tip from my wrench today after he replaced balancer.

for engine oil leaks , he swears by a product sold at napa or available on line . white shepherd stop leak

'white shepherd stop leak ' google these words for info.

mechanic said that this is the only additive that really works usually in 250 miles or so, others , swell seals and only partly improve leaks in the short term.

kind of pricey , but will try on my next oil change probably in a week and post results.