Water Pump Packing

Guest Paterson Chris

Guest Paterson Chris

Hi all --

I need your advise on what sort/ size of packing I should use for a water pump I'm rebuilding on my '22 Paterson phaeton. Packing housing inside diameter at each end is 1-3/16" and the shaft diamter is 3/4". I intend to purchase the stuff at a marine hardware store but before I go in, would like some advice as to what size I should get. Also, should I get the teflon stuff (cheapest) or the regular graphite mix kind? Anyone have any experience with this here?

Thanks

Graphoil packing works best. Teflon packing can actually score the shaft if it is too tight.

From your measurements, 3/16 square packing should work fine. Just make sure you cut it at an angle with a razor knife so the ends of the rings overlap (scarpe cut). Also, make sure the cuts are 120 degrees apart when installed. The packing will bulge to fill the gland when properly adjusted.

Packing is designed to leak a drip or two when properly adjusted to keep the seal cool and lubricated. Because most car guys don't like leaks, lubricate the packing gland with waterproof grease for positive sealing. This is the same grease you will find for boat trailer bearings.... This will help seal drips and lubricate the packing while preventing you from overtightening the packing.

Guest Paterson Chris

Very good, thank you Matt. I've never seen anything in any of my old car books specific to rebuilding 20s water pumps with these packings. Thanks.

Ohio Transmission & Pump

6500 Davis Industrial Parkway Phone: 440.349.3900 E-mail: amackenzie@otpnet.com

Cleveland OH USA 44139 Fax: 440.349.1031 Website: www.otpnet.com

Type: Distributor Office

Brands:

Industries: Chemical, Oil & Gas, Other (General Industry)

Contact Name (Title) Phone Mobile Fax E-mail

Alex Mackenzie 440.349.3900 440.349.1031 amackenzie@otpnet