ELECRTICAL ISSUES

dons89

Hello everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve posted a question. As a matter of fact I’ve even changed Reattas since the last I’ve written a post. Here is the problem, 1988 Reatta, silver/gray, 37,000 original miles. Step 1; open the door, Reatta does not come up on CRT screen, the security light does flashes and chimes do not sound. 2. When key is inserted into column it does not chime, car starts great no hesitation and runs great. 3. Dash cluster lights up for a couple of seconds then goes blank, seems to hold memory. 4. CRT screen also goes blank after a few seconds and will not change between functions; I can not get into diagnostics. While screen is blank the radio button will work and the screen comes back on and all functions work volume, search, ect. Again, I can not get to any other functions, like the climate to get to diagnostics. I pulled the three relays on the fire wall and they were very greasy, black stuff in between the relay and socket don’t know why. The battery terminals are clean and tight, new battery this week, grounds seem clean and tight, I’m just out here lost. That’s what I’ve got; any help will be greatly appreated!! Thank you all in advance.

I am not as experienced as some of the other guys, but it almost seems as if it would be your ignition switch. The reason why I say that is your CRT only works in the radio function. When the key turned to accessory the radio function is the only one that works. I would consider that.

The other thing I would check is the wiring harness under the passenger seat. On a previous post a guy was having trouble with a lot of the same things and when he checked and cleaned that connection it all came back.

I don't believe the CRT or the dash cluster are bad as they light up [even just for a short time].

The other thing that I had for a problem that wouldn't allow the "light show" to work, was my drivers side power door lock accuater. [The rubber boot the door rod pushes against was tore] The door lock would get hung up just off the lock position and wouldn't tell the computer that it was unlocked therefore the show wouldn't come on.

At any rate it would be a start unless you want to wait for someone with more knowledge to try to help. Good luck!

That is a lot of helpful information, thank you. I will try these things and let you know how it goes or doesn't! If anyone else has a thought let me know thanks again to all, this forum and the people are the best!!

Also if you try your right/left directional and the directional indicator works in the dash, but it doesn't chime or flash, check your front directional bulbs. Mine were burned out. The directional bulbs are the same as the foglights, so you always have a ready backup.

BTW the auto parts houses have them at aprox. $10.00 each. I bought 4 paid $2.00 at a u-pull salvage yard. Just look for Grand Prix fog lights. They are the same and come out in about 5 seconds.

Guest Mike_s

I'd also consider the CPS (Cental Power Supply) , under the dash, near where the brake pedal hinges.