JUST GOT THE 2008 LZOC DIRECTORY WHAT DOES THIS #MEAN?

MarkV

Guest imported_V12Bill

Some people know that they have a Continental, but apparantly don't know that there is a coupe and a converible(cabriolet).The remainder of the people let us know whether they have a ragtop or a coupe.

My Websters New Collegiate Dictionary defines "cabriolet" as:

1: "A light, one horse, two seated carriage". or

2: "An automobile with a folding top and glass windows".

Webster also defines "Convertible" as: "Capable of being converted, as by being transposed, or by being transformed from one type to another, or by being exchanged for an equivalent".

So I guess that "Cabriolet" would be a more descriptive definition for our "convertible" Lincolns.

They MUST still have some dictionaries at APU. I know they used to have terrific choirs when Dr. Gary Bonner was the choir director.

The folks that compile the directory just duplicate what the owner lists his (or her) car as without any editorial comments under the possibly mistaken assumption that the owner actually KNOWS what he (or she) has. Not necessarily 100% true.

I once saw a 1941 Continental on ebay advertised as a Lincoln Zephyr. I pointed that out to the seller and got an irate, abusive response suggesting that I shouldn't be telling him what he had - in no uncertain terms. I sent him one of his own photos which clearly showed the "Lincoln Continental" script on the side of the hood. Never heard from him again!

So, is it a typo? Because, mine is a hardtop.

Here is my Vin:

8H1809066

What does the vin mean? and how do they separate them based off the vin? What #'s mean what?

Yes they still have dictionaries at APU! LOL! And the choir is still great! did you go to APU?

Guest imported_V12Bill

From your VIN I know that the 8 means 1948 the H means that it is the Zephyr series of V 12. The sequential number went to about 182XXX and the last Lincoln V12 came off the line in March of 1948, so your lincoln is down near the end, probably made in late Jan or Feb or 1948.

A convertible converts to an open car or back to a closed car. A cabriolet is a style of convertible , usually without the rear 1/4 windows.

Like Bill says, the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is the sequential production number of ALL "H" series V-12 Lincolns produced between 1936 and 1948 and doesn't distinguish between body styles.

The "Body Number" tag on the firewall describes the body style and the sequential procuction number of that body style for that model year. My 1947 Continental Coupe is body number 76H57-366. Yours should be 876H57-nnn.

The other Lincoln V-12s were the BIG "K" series Lincolns which dwindled out of production in 1939 or 1940.

A "hardtop" car is generally considered to be a car whose doors have no structural frame around the window glass and has no pillars between the doors. When the front and rear windows are down, there is no obstruction between the windshield and the back of the window area, producing a convertible-like side view, hence the term "Hardtop Convertible". Ford didn't produce a "Hardtop Convertible" until the 1951 Victoria. "Hardtops" have always been considered a more sporty body style than "Pillar-Post" cars and are therefore, more desirable.

Our Continental coupes are not true "hardtops" by that definition because there is a body post between the front and rear side windows. They have a stainless piece that surrounds the door glass, but it doesn't go down with the window. This "hardtop" type of styling was used in the 1938-1941 Cadillac Series 60 sedans and produced a classic appearance as opposed to the rather mundane 4-door sedans.

When we lived in La Crescenta, California, the APU choir performed frequently in our church and our music director was an APU graduate.

post-32768-143137983873_thumb.jpg