V-6 performance modifications??

Guest MiamiTVR

Guest MiamiTVR

I do not yet own a TC but hope to soon and am curious as to performance modifications on the V-6. I do not think 140 hp is going to be satisfactory but a four speed automatic has appeal.

I have seen mention of modifications to the turbo fours that the owners seem pleased with. Are there some for the the sixes and that transmission?

Getting a bit extreme maybe, would a Mit. 3000 VR4 twin turbo work in one of these? I imagine in this modern age the electronics might be too weird.

If you want a car you car modify for more performance DO NOT look at a 3 liter V6 T/C. I own all three models-- 2.2 sohc turbo.2.2 dohc turbo and 3 liter V6. The V6 can gain 15hp by replacing the muffler system with 2.5 pipes and a high flow muffler. Replacing the throtle body up to a 52mm can gain a few more hp. The most fun you can have with mods is replace the tranny with a five speed. I've seen 2 done. Be prepared to spent at least $5000 for the job. You need to find a donar 3 liter V6 5 speed Daytona-LeBaron-Shadow.

As Bill suggested above, most of the guys who mod the 3 liter motors are on that link he put up. Gains are possible on the V6 just harder to come by. Best three, a good exhaust, a free flowing intake, and a bigger throttle body from the larger V6 class of FWD Chryslers. After that it gets spendy for diminishing returns. A custom turbo (or a Rotrex supercharger is easier to work because it's belt driven and 'universal') would be much less work than a 3000 GT motor swap. I like you thinking though cool.gif

Alan

post-33234-143137979282_thumb.jpg

post-33234-143137979292_thumb.jpg

Guest MiamiTVR

Thanks for the input and suggestions. That site was great. At the least I have learned that others have the same interest.