VATS - NO START

Richard S

My 90 has decided to make me look bad by refusing to start. Turn the key, and it acts like a low battery. Sometimes the display will light up, but turning the key to start will produce nothing. Other times the screen is totally dark. And yet other times I get the yellow ABS light and just to the right, the word "error". Second time it happened, I got a jump which did not help. It started after I fiddled with a bunch of fuses [though I don't think that had anything to do with it. I think the problem is intermittant]. I then charged the battery thinking it might be the alternator. Ran for a day and next day I got all symptoms again. Get code E058 [VATS], when I can read codes. Fiddled with stuff, and again it started and ran fine. Looked in the FSM which suggests a series of tests. Anyone experienced similar problems? What did you find?<BR>Richard

Does the security light ever illuminate while running? I know the owners manual is pretty emphatic about taking it directly to a dealer without shutting the engine off if that happens.

I don't recall seeing the security light on when the car was running, but can't be sure. The "electrical problem" message displays next to the security light sometimes when it won't start. I tried using another key just in case it was the resistor, but that made no difference. Possibly the contacts in the ignition switch, but came on kind of suddenly for that. I was hoping [though not wishing this on anyone else] this had had happened to someone else who has a panacea for me.

Hi...I have an 1987 Corvette with the VATS security system. Have had a couple of cases where car would not start. Try cleaning the key contacts with alcohol. Also, when VATS shuts your system down, you must wait a few minutes before attempting a re-start. <P>Steve<BR>Minneapolis

Thanks for reminding me about the need to wait before jumping on the key again, Steve. Remember reading that in the FSM, but in the heat [litterally] of the moment I forgot. Probably explains why it did start later. I did use a little electrical cleaner on a rag to clean up the contacts with no improvement. This morning may tell the tale.

Make me repeat after Bigrog 100 times: Check the simple things first. When the car stranded me today, I noticed that when it was willing to display, the volts showed low. Jumped it home and checked the cables. As predicted, the positive cable connection was pretty grungy. Cleaned it up and it started right up. We'll see if that was it. Thanks to all for the replies. If this works, it will just be another example of how often this forum hits the nail on the head.<BR>Richard