1956 Buick power steering and brakes

BuddyJohn56

I am about to purchase a 1956 Special Riviera and wanted to know how hard it may be to find the power steering and power brake systems for this car? It had neither so I would like to have them on there. Any leads or ideas would help. This is my first 50's Buick or car for that matter so I need a little help off the bat before I decide to buy this car. There is a lot of stuff on ebay too, but I would like to find a place that can sell or rebuild the Buick parts. Thanks.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

Welcome.

I can't help directly with the power stuff as my car has neither.... However, there are many sources of parts / rebuild services. Bob's Automobilia is one. Body and trim parts can often be found at Wheatbelt. Kanter's, Poston, and Classic Buicks are other locations that come to mind. As far as rebuilding, you may find there are still mechanics out there who are able to work on these cars.

Good luck.

Power steering may be a snap, but the power brakes are a one year application with an obscure location of the master cylinder.

You may find there's not much advantage to the conversion if you can just leave yourself an ewxtra car length or two to stop.

The power steering is going to happen! I do drive an 84 GMC with very mushy brakes and even though they are power, it does not by any means stop on a dime! I leave a car length or 2 every time so that should come naturally. Thanks a lot. If I did do power brakes...I would do Buick power brakes like whats on my fathers '67 Skylark. That thing locks up tight. Thanks again.

Locking up is not what you really want. Todays cars have anti lock brakes because locking them up makes you lose control. But I bet you can lock up the standard brakes just as good as the 67's. If not, just adjust the shoes. Note the 56 does not have self adjusting brake shoes and so you need to do that periodically.

I was looking at Budd's website tonight and noticed that power brakes were only available on cars with the automatic trnasmission. I don't know what that had to do with it.

The best thing you can do is to keep the brakes adjusted. My '54 book tells me to do it every thousand miles, and I know it makes a big in how the brakes perform.

The power brake will only make it easier on your foot. It will NOT make the car stop better. These old bombs were not built for the traffic we have today, so leave some space between your bumper and that Honda up ahead. And get used to brake fade.

Also, the power brake system was not that great a unit, and expensive to find and rebuild.

You would be beter off spending money on the power steering, which is a big help on my '54 Special, and I understand it got even better by '56. It is still a heavy car to drive (AKA herd down the road), but parking is much easier. Go for that first, and play with adjusting the brakes before you sink money into a power unit.

Happy wrenching,

Doug Cook

Thanks Doug. No problem, the power brakes seem to not be that important and hard to find. Like I said, my 84 GMC is a tank all lifted and even with power brakes, it stops in slow motion! So thats nothin new luckily. If I get his car, I will keep the brakes adjusted as you mentioned, thanks a lot.

Thanks Doug. No problem, the power brakes seem to not be that important and hard to find. Like I said, my 84 GMC is a tank all lifted and even with power brakes, it stops in slow motion! So thats nothin new luckily. If I get his car, I will keep the brakes adjusted as you mentioned, thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...
Guest galenmd

I am driving a 49. The steering is extremely difficult and I won't go anywhere where I know I'll have to parallel park. The spots are too small and the car is too big. I can't get the wheels to turn unless I'm moving. Power steering would be very helpful. Is this a big deal to add on?