Packard from Melbourne

R W Burgess

Guest imported_Speedster

I tried to look Past the paint-job, but Couldn't. smirk.gif

Sorry, but she reminds me of a Hooker wearing Too much MakeUp, with that Candy-apple paint. LOL laugh.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait a minute Rick. Your Packard, the one in the Avatar, is red and has white side wall tires! eek.gifwhistle.gifshocked.gif </div></div>

LOL, But No one can ever accuse me of making it 'TOOO Shiny'. grin.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigKev54Clipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go, original Packard color, no clear coat. The rest of the car will follow...eventually.

</div></div>

'TOOO Shiny'!!! grin.gif

Looks like a lot of Extra 'metalic-flaks' have been mixed into that paint. shocked.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

Just tryin' to have a little Fun, I think the convertible looks Great.

And Kev, your wheels really look good. To bad you have to cover up all that pretty paint with tires and hubcaps. laugh.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Kev, for Rick's benefit, just make sure the finished picture you send out is taken on an overcast day, then maybe Rick won't notice! cool.gif

Wayne </div></div>

Heck No, I want to be 'Blinded by the Dazzle'. cool.gifgrin.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

After all, Hookers with too much MakeUp, can be Good people too. wink.gifgrin.gif Under all the Gaudy MakeUp, there's usually a Great body. And it's the same with Over painted Packards. LOL grin.gif

Guest BigKev

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">'TOOO Shiny'!!! grin.gif

Looks like a lot of Extra 'metalic-flaks' have been mixed into that paint. shocked.gif </div></div>

Well it is called Metali-Chrome Bikini Blue, which was the orginal Packard color for my '54 Clipper. I often belive it was all the metal flake in that paint that caused all the surface rust crazy.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigKev54Clipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well it is called Metali-Chrome Bikini Blue, which was the orginal Packard color for my '54 Clipper. I often belive it was all the metal flake in that paint that caused all the surface rust crazy.gif </div></div>

LOL, I don't see any Bikini in it, but I sure see the Metali. shocked.gifgrin.gif Great color, tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After all, Hookers with too much MakeUp, can be Good people too. wink.gifgrin.gif Under all the Gaudy MakeUp, there's usually a Great body. And it's the same with Over painted Packards. LOL grin.gif </div></div>

I guess Speedster won't like my redone engine compartment, or he will have to at least where sun glasses.

DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0346.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Hey Man, That's what I call 'Real-Paint'! wink.gif

Except for those Glassy manifolds. cool.gif

Lookin' Good!!! grin.gif

I see one thing that may cause a problem tho, if I'm seeing them correctly.

Someone told me that running the wires from Ignition switch to distributor and the wire from coil, thru the plug-wire conduit tube, next to the plug wires, could cause problems (Inductive-coupling misfire). So, I've Not tried it. I've always run mine on the outside, so don't know for sure about that?

Guest BigKev

Each of the 5 rims that I collected for my car were each different colors. The one common thing about them was that the tire face of all the rims were all originally painted black as was the back side of the rim. I think Packard only painted the outside facing (hub cap face) body color.

Has anyone else noticed this also?

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigKev54Clipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think Packard only painted the outside facing (hub cap face) body color.

Has anyone else noticed this also? </div></div>

What paint? Mine have always been Solid Rust when I got them. cry.gif Either that or Solid Black, inside and outside. (Even my '56 Clipper had black wheels)

Guest imported_Packards1

My 56 is all original. The outside of the rims are painted with the finish color, the back side of the rims are still in factory primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I see one thing that may cause a problem tho, if I'm seeing them correctly.

Someone told me that running the wires from Ignition switch to distributor and the wire from coil, thru the plug-wire conduit tube, next to the plug wires, could cause problems (Inductive-coupling misfire). So, I've Not tried it. I've always run mine on the outside, so don't know for sure about that? </div></div>

It's been that way for two years without problem as far as I can tell.

Guest imported_Speedster

Okay, I may have to try putting all distributor wires inside the conduit.

It sure looks better that way.

Factory photos of Packard engine compartments also show the wires all jammed together. I also wonder if there might be inductive problems with this arrangement. Is the EMF going to be strong enough from any given ignition wire to a) cause arcing across the points, B) more quickly fry the condensor, or c) cause misfiring?

Tom

Guest imported_Speedster

It is probably a bigger problem if using original type wire, with poor cracked insulation.

I think I'll leave mine the way they are, with wires seperated, until I find some good test data on the subject.

Because I've seen what Inductive-coupling and arcing can do in radar-sets, which operate at similar voltages. Like a marshmellow droped into the campfire. shocked.gif