R & M Auction Scam

resurrections

Check out the auction results for R & M Auctions Amelia Island Auction of March 8 2008. There was a 53 Skylark that sold for 124K. In the listing it says the car was owned by Walt Bommer of Cincinnati and goes on to list all the awards won with the car including AACA and major Concours Judging. I know Walt and the car he did and this is not it!! The car pictured and sold by R & M is nothing close to the quality of the real Walt Bommer car. Someone got snookered if they relied on the auction catalog description. Someone perpetuated a fraud against the bidders at this auction!

I am sure they would plead ignorance and blame it all on the consignor. Given their stature in the world of auto auctions I would think it would behoove them to get to the bottom of it. When selling cars in the 100k price range it is incumbent on the auctioneer to check the facts in their publications.

Guest ChrisSummers

Never forget that classic car auction companies are just used car salesmen. The cars they're selling are expensive, rare, and pretty, but they are still used car salesmen, and due diligence is important.

I've heard horror stories about every major auction house. The moral of the story is: If you're going to buy a car at an auction, do your homework and research outside the catalog.

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

I have to say that the auction companies do have to take the consigners word for it on a lot of things. Its nearly impossible to validate a lot of stuff. If I took every private buyers word for it, I have seen more 1 owner, never damaged, factory original, old lady driving, no bondo, sat in storage, no rust cars that are being sold by a friend of a friend than I can remember. Saldy its everywhere.

Ebay beats any auction in terms of mis-representation. The thing there is you only have 7 days to do your homework. Most larger catalog auctions (RM, BJ, WWG) give you 6-8 weeks to check it out. If your buying a car based on history or prominence you have some time to check the backstory at least.

The net-net is that the blame needs to be just as much on the consignor as the auctioneers.

This response is sponsored by the auction houses of america. Just kidding!