FS 1930 Buick Series 60 Four Door

Guest BJM

I saw this car for sale on the a Model T website in Kansas I frequently check in on. I spotted it over coffee this morning without an opportunity to quick-check the Standard Catalog. $5100 OBO. It looked solid but had no roof and thus no interior fabrics but motor was complete looking and body was good.

Would this have been an 8 cylinder car?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Jake:

Maybe and maybe not. If it's actually a 1930, it would be a 6 cylinder car. If it's an early 1931 (by Buick model year) then it's a straight 8.

Th problem arises at the time of first title. Some states use the manufacturer's model year. Other states used the date of first registration. If it's one of the first 1931's, it gets to the dealer and gets sold late in 1930, thus the confusion. This confusion isn't at all unusual. Solution is: Get the frame number or engine number and/or a picture of the engine.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave,

There is a photo of the engine on this website but it's not too clear. I will inquire. Is the 60 series, isn't that like the "Century" of 1930? Like a "B" body, not the high end body?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Jake:

There are series 60 cars in both 1930 and 1931 and they are VERY different (132 in. WB in 1930 vs 118 in. WB in 1931), so my point above applies. Properly speaking, series 60 cars weren't called "Centuries" until 1936 model year.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Thanks Dave, I understand they weren't called Century but I was trying to figure out where they fit in the line up in terms of prestige and marketing.

Now back at home Wednesday night I hit the standard catalog and noted that 1930 Series 60 cars were quite impressive machines (no disrespect to 1931 series) as that was a Big 6 in there producing basically 100 hp and the long wheel base as you note.

On the negative side, this car appears to be the most produced bodystyle - the four door sedan and not a rarer bodystyle. That 132" wb would have made an impressive 2 door sport coupe with golf club door!

I think I have a photo of an early 30's golf club door Buick Sport Coupe from the 1998 St Louis National.

Anyway, offered at $5100, a rarely seen solid and seems to be complete project car. Considered top of the line Buick for 1930. Thanks again Dave -

This would make a great project car if that is what you are looking for. With nice wire wheels & sixty series power and class, a big car like this would serve to take you anywhere you want to go for touring or show. I think the asking price is reasonable, but nothing compared to what it will cost to restore. You will easily have another $20K in this car before you are done..... That is if you do most of the work yourself....

Then you have to ask what your time is worth. Most of us who do our own restorations do not count our labor in the cost of restoration.

Are you prepared to spend over $25K & hundreds of man hours over the next few years? I don't mean to discourage you, but you need to know what you will be getting into with a project car like this.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Jake:

A little additional info: The model 60 is a 7 passenger car with 2 foldup jump seats. Buick built 6583. A Model 60L is the same but with a divider window. Buick built 690 of this type. The model 61 is a 5 passenger car without the jump seats or the divider window. Buick built 12508 of them. All would be very rare today and I would generally "second" Mark Shaw's opinion and cost estimates.

I do note that the wheels seem small in the picture and it migt have the wrong wheels on it. Proper tire size is 19X6.50.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest model61

This looks like a model 61 ,not a 60.I have just finished a complete restoration ; wood, metal, upholstery etc. of a model 61.There are many parts missing from picture,such as, rear bumper,front bumperette,some outside and inside door handles,carb heat pipe,air cleaner,rain visor,inside back seat lights and covers,front seat back grab rail,foot rest,throttle and spark advance levers etc.. Some of the wheels are the wrong size.The metal looks good but some of the wood needs replacing.

Stan

model 61

model 47

1935 model 4499

1936 model 4499