Packard Data/Serial Plate

Guest jjohnb

I am looking to purchase a reproduction data/serial plate for my 1929 6-26 and I have a question on what is the correct type. The original plate in the car is nickel plated brass. I have seen the silk-screened stainless steel and also the brass plates that are available. I like the look of the brass plates but I want to keep the car as close to 100% correct as possible. Did any of the 6-26s come with brass data plates in 1929? Does anyone know of etched nickel reproductions that are available? When I do purchase one, any suggestions on the best place to find someone who can engrave it for me? As always guys, thanks for all your help!

In reply to the last part of your question:

To me, nothing looks more funny on a nice restoration than to see those plates "engraved." In most cases, they were originally crudely stamped by someone at the dealership. Sometimes the numbers and letters were very lightly stamped, and sometimes it they used a bfh to pound the individual letter so deeply you could serve a cup of soup in each space.

I'm sure someone will tell you that they have an original that was engraved, but it would have been a rare case.

If that's what you want to do, any jewelry store should be able to engrave exactly what you want.

Thanks West and Tom. I didn't really clarify my question to well, your correct I am looking to have the information stamped on the plate as opposed to having it engraved. Does anyone do that or is there somewhere I can get the punches to do it myself? For the patina, if the brass is correct for the car I am hoping it will form a patina after a few months if it is not treated (even if the car is stored covered inside), is this not a good assumption? Thanks, John

The shop that did my engine rebuild stamp numbers on it in spots you can't see so they can keep track of the parts.

I wonder if you found a good old machine shop they can stamp it for you? Just throwing out some other options here.

Guest car crank

If you have a Harbor Freight Tool store near by you can get a set of 1/8" stamps for $2.99 or 1/4" for $6.49 on sale now or on line at their web site. Then you would have them to mark all the other stuff that grow legs and walk off.

Guest imported_Speedster

The plates in both my 626 and the 645 were plated, not sure if it was Nickel tho, looks more like German-silver. They actually look more like copper than brass, under the plating. That may be a layer of copper plating tho.

The 40 piece set is the one I got, Good set.

See Link:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=letter+stamps

The ones you see that look like brass are probably because the nickel plating has worn off. You can get new ones from Pulfer and Williams. If you have one restamped, don't forget to keep the original as it's a felony in most states to tamper with or remove a VN plate.

Also, I believe you see that the numeral "1" was stamped like an "I", atleast from the early 30s thru 1950, and if so, try to match it. I'd engrave the VN, and then stamp the balance as it was done originally.

I just went out to the garage to double check, my data plate, it could be plated with German Silver vs. Nickel it's hard to tell. In spots where it is worn it does look like copper underneath not brass. I like the look of the unplated brass plate on Ebay but I think I'm going to pass as I don't think unplated brass is correct for the car. Is Pulfer and Williams still around? I thought one of the gentleman passed away recently? I also checked my VN and it is stamped like Speedster's (from the factory) with the delivery date stamped in a different punch font I assume from the dealer. Unfortunately, the dealer never put their name on the plate and I havn't been able to trace the car's history back beyond the mid 1980s. My 1s are aslo stamped as a 1 vs. a l perhaps that started in the 30's, my car was a late 1929 6-26. As alway, thanks for all the help guys!

Bill Williams died last September. Pulfer and Williams was purchased by Eric and Vivian Lavine, in Indiana.

574-773-7561

Make sure you're getting exactly what you want, though. A lot of reproduction tags are generic for years. You'll see some that have nothing but patent numbers loaded up on the whole bottom of the plate. The one on eBay says it's good all the way up to the 1950s, and I don't think that's correct.