Front engine cover/heater hose connection

waltmail

Looking for help. Sad story. I allowed someone to diagnose a difficult starting problem on my 89 Reatta. I got the car back one year later. The engine was , basically disassembled with the parts stuffed in my once pristine trunk. I have determined that in the disassebly process( don't know why), they managed to crack the front engine cover. They did install a replacement, but stopped right there. It seems that the left side of this cover has water port for heater coolant flow. I am also assuming that the connection fitting for the hoses is not there as I can stick my thumb in this port that has no threads nor any evidence of what needs to be there. Can anyone tell me what piece/part is missing. I have searched for a parts diagram of this section, to no avail.

Any and all help is appreciated, as I am in the process of reassembling this clutter myself.

BTW, on top of the throttle body assmbly is what appears to be a vacuum distribution valve( 2 nipples ), which now has the hose nipple broken off. Any clue where I might get a replacement or be able to identify this part number?

I was once in touch with an individual, who frequented this forum, and was a used parts dealer. Anyone know how I can contact him. I believe his name was Jim and he was somewhere in the midwest, maybe Wisconsin?

Thanks in adavance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, on top of the throttle body assmbly is what appears to be a vacuum distribution valve( 2 nipples ), which now has the hose nipple broken off. Any clue where I might get a replacement or be able to identify this part number?

</div></div>

If you are talking about the "Doo-hicky" in this photo, I don't know the part number but, I can suggest that you visit to you're local pick and pull salvage yard. Probably cost you a buck.

post-67519-143137968711_thumb.jpg

I JUST REPLACED BOTH OF MY HEATER HOSE PIPE ASSEMBLIES. I BELIEVE THE ONE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IS GM # 24500180 ( ARROX: COST: $26.00). STILL AVAILABLE THROUGH BUICK. THE OTHER ONE GOES INTO THE FRONT OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD GM # 25532906 ( APROX: COST; $46.00 ). BOTH ARE PRESS IN WITH O-RING SEALS THAT COME WITH THEM.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

DRAKE DARLAK---OSWEGO,ILLINOIS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John w/2 Reattas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, on top of the throttle body assmbly is what appears to be a vacuum distribution valve( 2 nipples ), which now has the hose nipple broken off. Any clue where I might get a replacement or be able to identify this part number?

</div></div>

If you are talking about the "Doo-hicky" in this photo, I don't know the part number but, I can suggest that you visit to you're local pick and pull salvage yard. Probably cost you a buck. </div></div>

That doo hicky is the exact part I was referring to. Thank you very much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John w/2 Reattas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding the heater hose connections... See attached photos. </div></div>

Excellent photos which should prove to be an invaluable aid in my process. I now have the cover picture for my jigsaw puzzle, thanks to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAKE DARLAK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I JUST REPLACED BOTH OF MY HEATER HOSE PIPE ASSEMBLIES. I BELIEVE THE ONE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IS GM # 24500180 ( ARROX: COST: $26.00). STILL AVAILABLE THROUGH BUICK. THE OTHER ONE GOES INTO THE FRONT OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD GM # 25532906 ( APROX: COST; $46.00 ). BOTH ARE PRESS IN WITH O-RING SEALS THAT COME WITH THEM.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

DRAKE DARLAK---OSWEGO,ILLINOIS </div></div>

That makes complete sense. I was assuming a fitting would need epoxy or an o ring seal. Thank you very much for your help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAKE DARLAK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I JUST REPLACED BOTH OF MY HEATER HOSE PIPE ASSEMBLIES. I BELIEVE THE ONE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IS GM # 24500180 ( ARROX: COST: $26.00). STILL AVAILABLE THROUGH BUICK. THE OTHER ONE GOES INTO THE FRONT OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD GM # 25532906 ( APROX: COST; $46.00 ). BOTH ARE PRESS IN WITH O-RING SEALS THAT COME WITH THEM.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

DRAKE DARLAK---OSWEGO,ILLINOIS </div></div>

Do you know which one presses into the front engine cover/timing chain cover and is the water pump outlet? I went to my local GM dealer and he tells me it is discontinued. Actually I don't believe him, since he couildn't come up with a part # or schematic. Thanks for the help.

Walt

Hello Walt:

The pipe you're looking for is #24500180. If you're facing the water pump, it is located on the upper left side of the timing cover. The other pipe enters into the intake manifold just below the alternator, just right of the water pump bypass hose. One day I'll be able to do pictures on this sight ( I hope ). Also, the part numbers I gave you are still good. I purchased mine on 02/11/08.

Drake

Walt:

I checked with my parts guy, if this will help, Schmacker Pontiac-- Lake Park Fl. & Courtesy Chevrolet-- in Orlando Fl. both show they have the pipe in stock ( 24500180 ). He also said they were available at the Chicago & Pontiac Michigan warehouses. So far he's been a great source of information.

Drake

Thanks a heap Drake. I just ordered both pieces from GM Parts Direct at about 1/3 the price my local GM dealer was willing to special order them for. The part #s you supplied were invaluable. I am getting there slowly. I will keep your recommended supplier in Lake City in mind. That would allow next day USPS shipping for me. Can't ask for anymore than that. What are their prices like?

Walt

Walt:

I'm not sure what the Lake City dealer charges. I deal with a dealer about two blocks from where I work. The pipe that goes into the side of the timing case cover was just over $26.00 + tax. The one for the intake manifold was just over $46.00 + tax. I've been buying parts from them for quite awhile and they've given me a pretty good discount.

Drake

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I am still putting this thing back together. Fedex is scheduled to deliver my parts order from GM Direct on Monday 3/2/2008. Now I need to figure out the bolt location/application for my intake manifold. Good luck to me, as this is a blind process. I didn't take it apart and have no illustration for the manifold. Help????