Gas Tank Capacity - 1940 Buicks, Early and Late?

allcars

Before asking my question, I wanted to mention that I greatly appreciate those members who have worked extensively on older Buicks and share their insights, tips and experiences. It is really helpful to have this information "preserved" in this forum...thank you, guys!

Now, here's a question about my '40 Century:

My Buick Master Parts Books shows two gas tanks for the 1940 Buick Century (and other 1940 models, as well). Apparently, there was a 17-gallon tank on early production cars and a 20 gallon tank on later 1940 cars.

The frame number on my Century indicates it is an early car with 17-gallon tank. I am preparing to order a reproduction gas tank for it. I assume the repro is the 20-gallon style, as it fits later cars as well.

The question is, will a 20-gallon tank fit my "early" car and, if so, will it require different straps?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Allcars:

Take a look at "gasoline tank supports" group 3.022. It would seem to indicate that the support changes at the same frame numbers as the tank does. This would lead one to believe they're a little longer. The price is also higher (30 cents VS 25 cents) in my 1941 parts book. I doubt that you'll get the same price!

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 6 years later...

Rod, this thread is six years old, and I am sorry to report that Mr. Corbin passed away a couple of years ago. However, in checking my Master Parts Book, the 1940 gasoline tank changed after the following frame numbers based on Series and Plant:

Series 40-50-60-70 Flint 1-3728142; 2-3611110 Cal. on Series 40; 2-3611113 Cal. on 60; 2-3611111 Cal. on 50; 2-3611119 Cal. on 70;3-3667477 Linden on 40-60; 3-3667237 Linden on 50-70. The gasoline tank supports also changed at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, John. By the way, try and keep your Texas weather under control for me.....in early April I'll be riding an Antique Motorcycle Club of Amnerica tour out of Kerrville, and enjoying your hill country. After that I think we'll spend a day or two at Big Bend NP before bolting for the barn.

Rod, we're trying to get this crazy weather under control, but as they say, if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait 15 minutes. Hill Country and Big Bend should be beautiful if the warmer weather and some rain show up. Enjoy the tour!