Powerglide transmission

Chenova

I have heard that a powerglide transmission is versital in that it can be connected to either a six or eight cylinder engine. Is that true?

I have a 1962 Nova with an aluminum case powerglide connected to a 194 6cyl. The transmission has started slipping and I was wondering if it would be cost wise to rebuilt this one or replace it with one that is a low mileage rebuild?

Depends on how much the low milage rebuild is, how handy you are (are you paying R&R labor or are you doing it yourself?) and who/where/how good the rebuilder would be for the original Powerglide. Have you considered having it looked at, on the car by an experienced (= old time) trans man? I could just need band adjustment.

I have a '63 Chevy II, pictures of it were on the "why are all the crappy 60s cars colletctible", I think that thread dissapeared as passions were running high--I didn't help matters!

post-42387-143137965351_thumb.jpg

Guest Dave Wyatt

That is true of the"modern" aluminum case 'glides, but IIRC, the old cast iron units had 6 cyl and 8 cyl bolt patterns and could not be interchanged.

The aluminum case transmissions have two different first gear ratios, a 1.76 for V8's and 1.82 for 6 cyl. (hope I don't have that bassackwards)

The 182 and 176 will work behind a 6 and a 8. The difference is the first gear ratio which affects the RPM drop between low and high. That was a trick to put the 182 behind a 8 to get a quicker launch. They are pretty simple and not that difficult to rebuild. Just watch the difference in the linkage on the transmissions if it comes out of a different Chevy model.

I would check the band adjustment if it is just slipping.

Chev redesigned their inline 6 in 1963. It used a lot of V8 parts and would fit the same tranny bell housing as the V8.

Previous to that the 6 and 8 had different transmission interface and therefore different housings even though the internals were largely the same.

The new type 6 debuted in the Chevy II in 1961 and was adopted across the board in 63.