replacement seat springs

imported_fordmerc

Follow up: Thanks for ideas. Looking for "wire" springs is a better idea than "coil" springs; I didn't use the right words. Nevertheless, ready-made springs are all double-cone upholstery springs and mine are (were)cylindrical. Modern cars use mostly "no-sag" type springs. Upholstery spring suppliers seem unfamiliar with car seats. Custom manufacturers are willing to make a spring if I can tell them load (per spring), deflection, wire gauge, and spring rate as well as diameter and height. Since I don't know the answers to most of the questions, the engineers are unable to continue the conversation. I will continue my quest.

From your post I assumed you had some good ones for a sample. If so you you should be able to measure wire diameter and turns per inch (or total turns) along with overall dimensions. That should be enough info for a maker. If they need the rate just put one on a scale and note the pounds per inch as you press down on the spring. If you have a good one you could just send a sample for duplication.

If you don't have a sample, calculate load by the size of your butt, the amount of coils it will compress, and how far you want to sink down.........Bob

• 2 weeks later...