Hollander interchange manual

Rooster

According to my Master Chassis Parts Book, the ring and pinion are a set listed as group number 5.529.

Part numbers listed as follows:

Includes Case:

1950 - 1954 (Super and Roadie) - Part Number 1393993 (3.60 Gears)

1950 - 1953 (All) 1393993 (3.90 gears)

Less Case:

1950 - 1952 (All) 1393846 (3.90 gears)

1950 - 1953 (ALL) 1393848 (3.90 gears)

1953 - 1954 (All AT) 1392187 (3.60 gears)

1954 - 1955 (50-60-70 AT) 1392481 (3.36 gears)

I have a Buick interchange manual that says the following interchange:

"Complete Rear Axle Assembly" - 1951 - 1955 (Super and Roadie).

The Master Chassis book does not list the "Carrier" for 1954, just torque tube part number, but lists differential cases as:

1953 - 1955 - Part number 1163401 (Bolt on type)

1954 - 1955 - Part number 1318707 (Riveted on type)

------------

OK, if I'm reading Hollander correctly, it looks like 1940 - 1955 Buick ring and pinion's were the same with exceptions of Model 80 and 90. It then gives me more data as follows:

The Assembly is listed as Hollanders item #433. This indicates that this is the carrier assemble less Torque tube and propeller shaft and the same applies: Indicates 1940 - 1955 except 80 and 90 series interchange - Buick only.

Then it goes on to list their item #439. This would be the whole torque tube, propeller shaft and carrier assembly. Under this item, it does not show interchanges and provides part numbers that don't match the years in the Buick Master Chassis Parts book.

But then if you see Hollanders item #369, this is ring gear and pinion only. Then it get's even muddier saying you are limited to '53 - '55.

I can always copy the pages and send them to you if you'd like.

I guess I didn't clear up a thing.

Gary

The carrier assemblies from 40 to 55 will interchange, but the gear ratios are different. The straight eight cars have from 3.9 to 4.4 ratios and the V8 cars have from 3.3 to 3.6 ratios. I have a 55 assembly in my 40 with the 3.4 ratio and it makes a highway car out of it. the original 4.4 gear limited me to 55-60 MPH, and now I can run 70+ all day

A big thankyou Gary ( and The Old Guy ) cool.gif

for the invaluable information provided. I knew I could count on fellow Buick networkers to fill in the gaps. smile.gif

I had a suspicion that the 1940 - 55 assemblies / gears would interchange but needed confirmation. The straight 8 rears could be a bit easier to locate here, but 53- 55 ones ---- ????? Mmmm , a lot harder. I want the highway ratio gears so looks like a treasure hunt is on.

Or Gary , I could just keep looking at your blog for updates on a rear end swap. grin.gifgrin.gif

Cheers.

By the way, Lamar tells me I owe you some Fisher manuals. I have like a three inch stack that was sent to me from someone in the "chain" so to speak. I had an idea that I would get these scanned and then have the opportunity to email the whole thing in a PDF file. The only issue I have right now is finding a place that scans. I'll try to get that to the front burner.

Have a great and warm weekend while we freeze here. But that might be a good thing. Maybe all the dunderheads in Washington will stay home or maybe get stuck somewhere and not be able to get back to the "office" for a very long time!!

Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only issue I have right now is finding a place that scans. I'll try to get that to the front burner.

</div></div>

You can send them to me, I'd be happy to scan them and put them in PDF format for the group. I can send them back on to MrEarl when complete. PM me and I'll send the mailing address.

Budd