front axle ???? help

nath camm

Guest Stllrng.

To me it seems unlikely that that is from a Pre-16 Republic automobile as the axle in question has front brakes and cast steel wheels as opposed to wood.

It may perhaps be from a more common Republic truck of the late 1920's or early 1930's. The letter on the hubcap does not look familiar but may also be from a "Ruggles" truck of the same era. The cast steel wheels were standard for trucks of this era, but not used on cars.

the brakes have pubury patent cast in the aluminium back plates ..is the width of the axle same for the truck as for the car ..if it ever stops raining i will strip it down a bit ,see if i can find any other marks...i just would love to know the history behind it and how it got over here in the uk ..many thanks for all your help so far nath.

The wheels look typically English. View of the main section would be more definitive. I have had a Ruston Hornsby rear axle here waiting for a car owner to come and get it for many years. There are no hubcaps on the one here; but the marking on yours could be a stylised R H. Only Roosevelts I saw had small siz Dayton wire wheels, much smaller than Auburn, etc. Roosevelts probably also used wood spoke wheels, but would never have had pressed and welded steel Sankey's. Marking on Roosevelt was a sort of stylised "R", with tured-up foot on its right leg.

Ivan Saxton

Looking at the photos again, I belive that the axle was cut and shortened to make a trailer out of it. It appears as though it has been welded in the center. Take a look.

This was not an uncommon practice.

I think it must be European also. Dave!

Guest Stllrng.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking Republic Truck. I never thought that they built cars. Dave! </div></div>

The Republic truck is not related in any way to the Republic automobile. A few companies that did build both cars and trucks include White, Reo, Maxwell, etc. I didn't notice in the original post that the axle was from the UK, I would agree it is from an English car. Are the wheels cast or pressed steel?