Help! Locked out.

My dealer/mechanic advised I keep the battery disconnected while car was in storage. Now I am unable to get into the car by using the key to unlock doors in order to release the hood. Nothing in service manual. Mechanic stumped.

Guest Brolliar

On my 1989 with the battery disconnected the key in the lock will lock and unlock the doors. Just can't open the trunk without the battery.

Dick,<BR>Thanks for the reply. I have tried several times but cannot get doors to unlock on either side. Mechanic also stumped. Nothing in service manual.

This does not make a lot of sense since the door lock is mechanical (button just activates a solenoid that pulls/pushes a lever.<P>That said, you should be able to reach under the front of the car (may need to jack it up) and up to the hood latch to release it, possibly just by pulling on the cable where it connects to the latch. Might help to have someone push down on the center of the hood to help unload the latch. This should let you<BR>connect the battery and at least open the trunk.<P>(Good reason to leave the trunk pass-through open when storing)

Guest EDBS0

Interesting:<P>From under the car you just might be able to reconnect the battery.<P>The door locks do not take a lot of power. With a fresh battery or one from another vehicle run "jumper cables" 18 gauge should be fine to the battery post clamps. This should power things up. Remember red to positive and black to ground. You don't even have to ground to the battery any good ground will do.

Guest Brolliar

It sounds to me like you do not have the correct door key (the oval key) for your Reatta or both locks are broken. As padgett said "This does not make a lot of sense since the door lock is mechanical". I checked my 89 and with the battery disconnected the doors lock or unlock easily because their locks are mechanical. Ask your Buick dealer and I bet they will tell you the proper door key should open it just like any other GM car. Very strange .........

Thanks for all of the advice. My mechanic suspected someone had used a Slim Jim to get into the car at one time. He removed the door panels and sure enough the lock rod had been broken loose from the lock cylinder by the Slim Jim. Careful with those Sim Jim's.

Luckily I leave the windows down a little for ventilation and I was able to reach into the lock on the inside of the door. I have small arms.