At last...getting a Reatta - I hope!

KDirk

Hello again!

After a wait of several months, it looks like I will finally be getting a Reatta. I had to delay getting one due to some unforeseen expenses, but now it is time. I have my eye on a 1991 white over red coupe, in what appears to be (from the pictures) exceptionally clean condition. I am driving down to look at it - and buy it unless there is some major unseen problem - this Sunday, 1/11.

It is about 275 miles from me (I'm in St. Louis, MO, car is in KY) it has 93400 miles and has a asking price of just under $5000; but I'll see what I can do with that! Now, I do have a couple of questions for any Reatta experts who care to chime in.

First, aside from all the normal things one needs to check over when buying a used car, is there anything specific I should be looking out for on a 1991? Until I found this car, I had concentrated my search on the 1990 model year, so I hadn't researched the idiosyncrasies of the 1991.

I know the ABS is different on the 91's (and improved vs. the Teves system based on what I've read here) and that the transmission is also different from prior years. I also know to check the headlamp mechanization for problems, and to pull codes from OBD. Anything else I should be giving scrutiny before I buy?

One other thing, is the universal theft deterrent (RPO code UA6) standard equipment on the 91? I have a 1990 FSM that states it was standard on the Reatta, optional on the Riviera but I was unsure if this was true on the 91 also.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have this car back home Sunday evening and will post back about it then, unless the deal is a no-go.

Thanks for any input or information.

KDirk

We sold Panik's '91 coupe, in excellent condition, (2005 BCA silver award winner), for $5K w/102k miles. So, the price is within acceptable margins, for the model/year.

I had replaced the oil pressure sensor, and the Right front wheel bearing/hub assembly. Otherwise, this car's overall condition was better than any of my other Reattae, and it's paint was better than Black Beauty's.

Check out the CD and cassette players, and listen for bad speakers.

Inspect the headliner for air pockets, or delamination from the shell. If there's a moonroof, watch for evidence of leaks, and check it's smoothness of operation.

Make sure you get the owner's manual/zippered portfolio, and as many of it's items as possible, i.e. pen, tire guage, flashlight, inserts, manual, plastic keys.

Hope to meet you at the BCA Nats, in Flint, MI this summer!

Hi all,

Well the good news is I have a Reatta. I picked it up Sunday afternoon at Sam Swope in Louisville, KY. An extra special thanks to Larry who was good enough to meet me there and offer his expert opinion on the condition of the car, and pointed out a few minor issues I hadn't spotted yet. It was nice meeting a fellow owner, and I got to see the legendary touch screen in person.

Anyway, sorry it took me a couple of days to post back, I worked 16 hours on Monday, and didn't get time to get on here.

I have to say, the car is a beauty. As good as it looked online, and better than I expected for a 17 year old car. Clearly it was very well taken care of. I'm quite satisfied, and have no doubt I made the right purchase.

Looks like 3 owners per the carfax, started in Florida, then a short stint in Ohio, then finally Kentucky the last few years. It's new home is in St. Louis - permanently I hope.

I already love this car - truly a distinctive vehicle and I feel like one of the privileged few to own one in such solid condition. Of course, there are a few minor things to deal with, I will be tackling those as time and money permit.

The good:

This car has almost new tires, new battery, just had an oil change and has what appears to be either the newer replica (Pilkington) windshield or one of the last NOS factory windshields - it is way too clean and scratch/nick free to be original. Also has the all black LOF logo, not the older "hollow" logo, and was made in Mexico.

Brakes are better than 50% all around as well. Transmission service was done by a Buick dealer at around 75,000mi per carfax. I did get the owners manual binder with everything but the Craftsmen's log (dammit). Even has the original window sticker with a price of $30,990 - makes me feel like I got a good deal.

The bad:

I think there is a small exhaust leak, something sounds just a bit off; Larry pointed out a leak on the manifold gasket which I will be fixing shortly. Trunk weather strip is ratty, will need to find a replacement. Im' getting a clunk in the suspension, sounds like the right rear. Also, the door ajar indicator on the IPC doesn't function. Not yet sure if this was not used on the Reatta, or if it just isn't working.

Here's the details: (Barney Eaton may want to add/update the database)

1991 Reatta Coupe

93,400 miles

VIN: 1G4EC13L7MB901008

Arctic White exterior

Black body moldings

Red pin stripe (factory painted)

Standard silver 16" rims

Flame Red Interior

Standard seats

Factory head unit, no outboard CD player

No sunroof

I guess this got a bit long winded. I will take pictures when we get a nice day here and I have had it washed. Right now we are in the death grip of winter, so it may be a bit.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more to say (and even more to ask) as I start working on my Reatta. For right now, I'll give it a rest.

KDirk

Guest steelfoot427

it's good to see another reatta here in st. louis i have seen a silver and my white 88 and now yours lets get together and ride