Engine Races When Started Cold

ccrowe

Fot the last few mornings when I start the car it races. I mean really takes off, not your normal cold start fast idle. After having run for an few minutes, or when put in gear it calms down. It does not do this during a warm start. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Guest trofeo73

thats funny, because, when I start my car cold in the morning It will almost die, then idle as normal. It has had a rough idle lately......Perhaps it is a similar problem...any thoughts?????

Guest EDBS0

All your answers could be as simple as cleaning the throttle plate. This should be the first, least expensive and easiest step to a fix.

Guest trofeo73

Yea, that would help. I need to check the fuel pressure too. I am thinking of building another engine to go in soon, hopefully I can bring it back to its old self again

rough idle cold sounds like a bad ignition coil it will also give the same symptoms as and bad fuel pressure reg. and make idle speed race to make up for the miss. wink.gif" border="0

I don't think so - the ECU has a specific rpm it is trying to reach and gets that information from the crank sensor. <P>Now the "never say never" postulate indicates that a screwed up ignition can do anything however I would look to a vaccuum leak first. Since it heals when warm a sticking throttle plate or sicking/failing IAC could do it.

Guest C.F.Massie

Hey Chris,<BR>What vacuum line are you talking about? The IAC is an electrical component and only one electrical connector goes to it. I have changed out the IAC on my 89 three times over the years even after cleaning them a number of times. Guess mine just keep failing which is not very common for an IAC. My 89 idles rough and always has, can't seem to track down the problem.

Guest trofeo73

i think I am going to do a thurough checking of any vacum leaks while I am changing the moter mount that I never got to..... I cleaned my IAC but to no avail. lately the car has had a bad odor coming from the exhaust too, especially when starting it after it is warm......