54 - 56 power windows

Rooster

Does anybody have their power window assemblies out of the door ? I would like to know the diameter of the circular spring and the number of turns please. Someone has been into mine and I think has replaced it with an incorrect one which is too strong.

Cheers. smile.gif

Watch out when you remove those springs they are very powerful -- so please take care when removing so no accidents happens. We had a pure £$%^ to remove ours since we wanted to plate the window lift -- since the spring is bare metal we had to remove it.

Cheers

Dyna

If your window is slow to lift against the spring, my guess would be that your lift motor is worn / weak.( I assume its electric like the 58, not hydroelectric like the 47.)

Hopfully you can get the info you need to check the spring from others, as my experience is with 47 and 58 power windows.

Guest imported_MrEarl

So you mean all 54 Roadmaster windows don't open and close in .oo5 seconds. They sho came in handy when all them gals was tryin to climb in on me... apparently you're not having that problem...

also came in handy when Jordan was ridin with me. that boy loves pork and beans... grin.gif

Well, I've got the rear quarters to go up and down like they're turbo charged !! Just the one front is a bit slow on the up. Pulled the motor apart and all working fine, but the spring just looks too big and strong ?? Could be just a case of lube required on the mechanisms but it's a pain of a job to put it all back together then dissmantle again. mad.gifmad.gif

The old lube in the tracks can get very gummy. this is another reason your window may be running slow. Mine worked much better on the 58 when I cleaned out the gummy stuff and put nice fresh white grease in the tracks. I'm referring to the 'c' type channels that the guide wheelie things run in. I took the assembly apart , to do it, and you a right, it can be a bit of an undertaking.

Track al;ignment may be a problem, but that should be apparent if the window tracks differently up vs down.

Hmm isn't it so that the spring is actually helping the window up? Looked like that on our caddy at least... Would be strange with a spring to lower it....

Just my thought but then again I'm not an expert just an observer smile.gif...

Cheers

Dyna

Hmm, dunno about the girl catching with them, I think if it's half broken I rather find a guy how can fix it blush.gif

Well I put it all back together again, worked out the process to make it all a bit easier. Not bad when you know how. The window now goes up a bit quicker so the lube helped a bit. Not as fast as the passenger window , but accepable. Hi Ho Hi Ho , it's off to work I go.

Now on to my next job. Once I get that new bearing / seal, Irene get's a new rear end. grin.gifgrin.gif