1940 Plymouth Electrical System

34 Dodge

Hello and thanks in advance.

My friend's 1940 Plymouth is not running properly and he took it to a mechanic who told him that the battery, which is currently grounded on the positive side, is hooked up backwards and should be a negative ground. The mechanic wants to put in a new battery, rebuild the starter, etc. I think that he doesn't know jack about these cars.

Everything that I have seen indicates that early 6-volt Chrysler cars had a positive ground. My 1934 Dodge has a positive ground. Is this mechanic wrong?

Ken Sobel

hypnotist01@sbcglobal.net

If it has'nt been changed it should be positive to ground , and the only reason i can see to change it to neg to ground is if it has been changed to 12 V

The mechanic is definitely wrong about the battery.

You need to find a real old gray haired or bald headed mechanic who remembers how to fix the old models.

It may need the starter rebuilt for all I know, on the other hand it may only need the connections on the wiring cleaned and tightened.

Has either of the battery cables been replaced? Cables for newer model 12 volt cars are half the size of the correct cables, this alone is a fruitful cause of slow turning starters and hard to start 6 volt cars.

Was this so called mechanic smart enough to look at the coil terminals to see which wire (+ or -)is going to the distributor? and if he did look at it was he smart enough to determine which way it was hooked up?

My nephew just spent 4 years at a trade school to become a tech at the local Toyota/Lexus dealer and they think he is the best thing since sliced bread, he may be as long as he has a computer to plug it in to but take away his computer and he can't change oil and do it right!

Yes Mopar used + ground thru the end of 1955 , 1956 was 12 volt and - ground

Tell your friend to get his car out of there before that clown burns up everthing electrial!

To be fair the last American 6 volt + ground car is now over 50 years old.The last 6 volt VW is 40. There would be no point in a new mechanic even learning about them.

That is why I suggest 34 dodge look up an old mechanic or one who likes working on old models. You could ask around among your old car owning friends, there may be a good mechanic near you.