Early Fiats built in Poughkeepsie

David Katz

I am an automotive writer seeking any and all information available on the early Fiats built in Poughkeepsie, NY from about 1906 through the early 1920's. My interest was piqued by some wonderful old family photos of my grandfather and great-grandfather and their 1908 and 1911 Fiats. I was told that the body on the 1908 car was built by Quinby. According to some notes on the back of some of the photos, my great-grandfather drove this car from Baltimore to California in 1916. Another states that that car, at one point, was driven by him back to Poughkeepsie for repairs and service.

I would greatly appreciate any leads to information about the Fiat factory and the cars built there. Thanks. dekats1@yahoo.com **Please do not add this e-mail to any mass mailing lists or use it for solicitations.

David...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

I highly suggest you check our AACA Library & Research Center.

Click on "Library" on the home page, or, the "Resources" drop down within the header of this page. We retain volumes of original historical information and hopefully you will find info on the Fiats.

Regards,

PJH

I used to work in Poughkeepsie and would drive past the old FIAT plant every day. In recent years the building housed the Western Printing plant and was located directly across from Marist College on Route 9. It was torn down some years ago to make way for the new Home Depot store.

There is some detail of subsequent use of the FIAT PLant in Fred Roe's excellent book Duesenberg: The Pursuit of Perfection. Corporate relationships are often not easily understood. After the aquisition of Duesenberg Motors Corp by Willys Corp after WW1, the FIAT plant, while known as Duesenerg Motors Corp, mainly did work for another Willys subsidiary, Autolite. In the demise of Willys Corp in 1922 (which was also important in the genesis of Chrysler as a brand) , Electric Auto-lite became an independant business.

In 1923 it disposed of the plant to the newly formed DeJon Corporation, which continued to manufacture ignition systems there.

I have a recollection that Ralph Stein may have alluded to someone else notable making cars in the plant between FIAT and Willys Corp ownership, but I did not commit it to memory, and I would have to look it up.

As to FIAT cars themselves, there were a number of different sizes of similar concept, ranging in engine capacity from 1.8 to 9 litres. My understanding, from what I have read that seems reliable, that most cars made at Poughkeepsie were the 9 litre Tipo 5 and Tipo 6, which differed mostly in wheelbase. I traded a basic engine which we picked up from a district sawmill which it used to power. It had a decompression control so it could be started by hand. It seems that the majority of these were made in USA, because the market for them at home was limited by social and economic factors. It is possible that some mid size cars such as the 4 litre Tipo 3 and derivative sporting Tipo 3 Ter could have been made there too if they had enough appeal to th US market; but this is only speculation based on the known popularity of the similar style and size Lancia. (I have basis of a 1911 Lancia, and a friend has a Tipo 3 Ter FIAT. Fiat is built rather more heavily.) The Lancia Delta, such as I have, was said to have been built in USA from Lancia drawings first as the SGV, and susequently by Miles Harold Carpenter as the very expensive Phianna, which was admired and owned by some of the very wealthy. (I have never had the opportunity to examine an example of either of these to make my own assessments.) Antique Automobile ran a series of Hal Carpenter in the 1970's as I recall; and I would be most appreciative if Steve can tell me which issues contained this because it would otherwise take me a lot of time to find.

The FIAT line were all very recognisable as having the same deigners and pattern makers, so similar were they in style.

I have enough to restore two Tipo Zero 1.8 litre cars, which were light weight, narrow track, and short wheelbase. One that has long been part of the collection in Lord Montagu's care is said to return 25mpg, and be capable of 50mph. This is probably quite good for what was conceived as a popular market level car before 1914. One which I bought from a property in outback Queensland has a Farina body.

Next above was the Tipo 1, which had a similar engine of the same capacity but with a huge flywheel: It had wide track, and much longer wheelbase to carry much more substantial bodywork. I don't think I would be blessed with enough patience to own or drive one, though they are as nicely built as all FIATs of the period. The next size up was the Tipo 2, which was about the same in all respects except that the engine was about 50% larger for about the same vehicle mass. The 4 litre 4 cyl Tipo 3 would thunder along quite impressively. I used to see one which ran in VCCA(Vic) events here years ago. The next model was very rare, and a change of concept. It was a 6 cylinder 4 litre. A friend owned one for years that had a rather large and impressive closed body frame built on it by the previous owner. I understand Jack has since sold this, and we may someday be able to see it in motion when restoration is completed.

I apologise that I may have given more information than may have been needed in some ways; but I hope it does provide a little better undestanding of area of history that is not simple.

Ivan Saxton

Guest leadsled1953

there was a little article and some pics of the Poughkeepsie Fiat plant in the book The History Of Dutchess County.i had the book in the 80s .try the Dutchess Co or Poughkeepsie historical groups.

• 7 months later...