'56 - 322 in a junk yard

Gary_N

Well, in my never ending change of mind, I found a '56 - 322 sitting in a Special in a nearby junk yard. I was actually there looking for stuff for my De Soto. But, that's another story. Anyway, I popped the hood and there sat a complete motor with air cleaner still attached. In a junk yard.... well that's rare. So, I started thinking about my '54 project. Anyway, the yard wants $350 for the engine. Sounds high to me. Now I know this one would need a total rebuild. But probably no more than what's sitting in my '54 now. So, is it worth $350? Well at least I don't have to get it shipped. That's an easy $350 right there. I just hate to leave it there. Saw some incomplete 364's and maybe a 401 too. OK, better choice, right? Is there any possibility that a 364 or 401 will come close to bolting up in my '54? I know the answer to that without asking. Oh, and will my '54 - 4 barrel manifold bolt up to the '56?

My purists side is sitting on my shoulder right now....but my resto/mod side is getting loud again. So, if I had a completely restored '54 Roadmaster with a '56 engine, would I have killed the value? I'm already taking a Super and making it a Roadmaster; trading VIN and ID plates; and nothing matches numbers wise. Did I just answer my own question?

I know, just do what makes you happy. Am I happy yet?

Thanks! Gary

Guest imported_Thriller

You want to buy the entire car and offer the rest of the parts to your forum friends wink.gif

Failing that, if it is there, it may be the gift horse you have been looking for. After seeing a '41 brochure go for almost $190, I'd say $350 for an engine is pretty good. It's all relative and the perspective you put on it.

Good luck with your decision.

Just build your 54 engine to 56 specs. The block is the same, the crankshaft is the same, the rods are different but interchangable, the available pistons are the same (Egge). I think the heads are different, but your manifold will work. The 56 Carter WCBF is not as tall and flows a little better. If your engine is rebuildable just buy 56 heads from 50-60-70 series. That engine from a 56 Special is no advantage unless your engine is not rebuildable.

Willie

Firstly , to us Aussies $350 for a complete ( 1950s V8) engine is Cheeep. Good idea on buying the whole car and parting it out ( if beyond restoring ) or sell without motor / trans.

Secondly, where did all the extra HP come from between 54 & 56 engines ?

Ken ( aka Rooster)

(1954 Ir)

Now, Mr. Thriller, that was an "I gotcha"....and a very good one at that. Caught myself with a big foot in there. Someone pointed out to me, and rightly so, that the three most beautiful motors are Nailheads, Hemi's and Flathead Ford V8's. I have to agree, and every time I see one, I want it. Now, I've just been offered a small hemi for my De Soto and then this motor pops up. What's a poor boy to do but buy 'em. Mr. E does all the time. Then tries to sell the parts to me!

And Willie, you are correct. But, I have a question. The 322 I'm looking at is a Special. So, the compression is less and it's a 2 barrel. Was the compression increase on the 4 barrels from pistons and the heads are the same on both the 2B and 4V motors?

Gary

Guest kevinshea

Gary --- are you sure it's a 322 and not a 264.. the specials were most likely to have a 264 particularly if it has a 2 barrel. The 264 has smaller pistons that the 322. (forget the sizes) and you can tell for sure by looking at the block # ... again, right now I forget the exact, but I think if is starts (or ends) with a 4 then you have a 264.

If you want a 264 block/crank in very good shape, you can have one that I have for free.

Guest imported_Thriller

All '56 engines were 322s. The Special was the only one with the 2 barrel carb. The compression ratio was lower also - 8.9:1 vs 9.5:1. The Special was rated at 220 hp vs 255 for all other series.

I don't know what the differences are to account for the CR though.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Oliver, I mean Gary. You wouldn't believe what I just ran up on in my back yard while I was bush hoggin. I'd done forgot it was even there. I would have put in on my truck and brought it to show ya but no way am I gettin on that Washinton DC Beltway again. It's just what you need. A 1956 Century with a 322 Nailhead, complete with a 4 barrel manifold and Carter CARburaTER (with the heat passages to help keep the carb cooler), dual exhausts (that if you don't install that factory 54 power brake bosster you might be able to route through the frame), a Variable Pitch Dynaflow (which increases the off the line performance by about 40% over 54) , the correct radiator to match up with the tranny, a set of front wheel spindles (which are angled at about 7 degrees that greatly improves cornering and overall handling) and the rear end is there if it'll work for you. Engine still has oil and the trany fluid is red. Previous owner said "it was runnin when parked" but that's all I can tell ya. And here's the good part, all the above is only gonna cost ya $50 more than that little Special engine you found in a junkyard. Yep, that's right...only $400...well plus Georgia antique car sales tax which in your case would only be a bottle of that there red wine with the cork top. You need to act quick on it though 'cause now that I done cut all the bushes out from around it I'm sure all these hot rodders around Hooterville, I mean Hull, Georgia is gonna see it and want to buy it.

And the other good thing is once you've pulled all the good stuff, you should be able to sell what's left for almost what you paid for it. Now is this a good deal or what.

Demolition Scrap Prices

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...only $400...well plus Georgia antique car sales tax which in your case would only be a bottle of that there red wine with the cork top. You need to act quick on it though 'cause now that I done cut all the bushes out from around it I'm sure all these hot rodders around Hull Georgia is gonna see it and want to buy it. </div></div>

I don't know about that tax man...sounds a bit fishy....

Wouldn't all the hot rodders around Hull mean you Lamar? After all, with '54 Muscle and all... grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, Mr. Thriller, that was an "I gotcha"....and a very good one at that. Caught myself with a big foot in there. </div></div>

Yeah, but I didn't getcha asking for my mailing address to help me get the '56 41 going now, did I? wink.gif Can't blame a fella for trying though.