plug wires Please tell if theres a secret

backydmech

got distributor on this morning, had to quit for home projects. wow, bigger job then I thought, per jake, put distributor on aligning turn key. first, second, third attempt did not seat all way to block, turned key 180 seated no problem tightened bolts with finger then snuged.. wires another problem, appears you have to disassemble wire route tubes to get enough slack or am I just being impatient. #10 wire did not show continuity on meter test. is this a special wire or can it be made up from make your own avaiable spark plug wire. guess I'm being a worry wart but is ther a test to assure timing not out 180 before starting...

The off set key on the distributor and cam drive assure correct timing. Sounds as thought you have installed it right. Not sure what you mean by "not getting enough slack" in the spark plug wires? The spark plug wires are nothing special; solid core, 7 mm spark plug wire. The tricky part of all this is the re-stringing of all the spark plug wires in the conduits. This is not too difficult if you use the right sequence and be patience. #10 is a "cross over" wire which goes from the left side of the distributor to the right bank conduit. If your wires are old and brittle you may want to consider replacing all of them now.

If you need wire lengths, let me know.

i had a broken plug wire as you describe with no continuity. i replaced the wire by connecting a new wire to the spark plug end of the old wire with strong fishing cord, spraying the wire with silicone and using the old wire to pull the new one through. if you need a new set of wires i would order them from earle brown. if you just need one wire i might be able to send you that if i knew what length you needed. also on the spark plugs i use chamption h12 which are available at napa. david

had time to intstall a couple wires but in attempting another wire the first two slipped back out. jake had warned this was a problem area.. guess because I never delt with this setup (tube routing) did not think it would be problem.. May have checked wrong side for #10 will recheck on monday have all day and can be more relaxed.. wires appear newer may have cracked from sitting 10 years or have bad end connection.

your right about all NOW do not want to do this again soon

Thanks for the offer on the wire. but if 7mm solid core can work I'll make anothe trip to auto supply.. they owe me two h10 plugs anyway bought battery and plugs this morning, Guess I has being optimistic till I started trying to assemble plug wires.. ALL GOOD THINGS TAKE TIME...

I can hear one of you old v12, people saying be patient it ant as easy as you thunk RIGHT!