start after sitting

backydmech

just thought I'd check, Engine was rebuilt and started - car then sit inside warehouse approx 10 years 1 alum head off it had leaked on startup. obtained cast heads removed head still on car (real bad pitted underside) cleaned block head seat and studs vacuum cleaned any trash from cyl valves. Slightly moved pistons to insure not frozen (ok), will oil cylinder walls and valves marvel oil, before rolling with starter will also oil water pumps drain any oil in engine and replace. then install heads plugs and start (after prayer) without coolent, let run a few then add coolent for check.... ok plan?? have I forgot anything ? suggestions??

Guest imported_V12Bill

I think I would like to turn engine over to circulate oil to bearings before I replaced the heads. The engine should turn over easily then. Why do you want to start engine without coolant in it? If the head gasket leaks it leaks either before or after the engine starts. Once the engine starts you can leave it runing at a fast idle if you put coolant in it first.

Excellent point about checking water pumps. did not think about that one.. will do.. V12, have a water flow heater not hooked up. appears that one of two mechanics was working on installing wipers and putting in heater when he quit becase head leaked, owner got off on other projects. figured I would start engine without water if ok then get a hose for water outlet on head and crimp off restart and run a while. In short just a time saver.. if that doesnt make sense to you I'm open to suggestions.. I realy at this point ready to check and make sure no major problem from sitting.. If I thow something I do not want to clean up the water..