Post rebuild oil pressure problem

Aaron65

Hello,

I just had my 263 straight 8 rebuilt by my local machine shop…I’ve broken it in and have driven it about 75 miles or so. The hot idle oil pressure is low. Here’s what I’ve done. I drove it 30 miles today, went out and got a mechanical oil pressure gauge and hooked it right to the threaded area in the block where oil pressure is normally taken. I started it up and it had 17 lbs. of pressure at idle after sitting about 90 minutes. I drove another 20 miles and it had 7 lbs. At this point, winging the motor (not to redline or anything) in neutral brought the oil pressure to about 37 lbs. When I started it before the ride (not with a cold engine, mind you) it had 42 psi…My machinist, when I asked him, told me the mains, rods, and cam bearings all had between .0015 and .002 clearance. This doesn’t seem loose enough to have this low of oil pressure. The oil pump was not changed, as it was in excellent shape. I am running 30wt Brad Penn Break-in oil at this time. My machine shop will stand behind their work, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I’m missing…plus I’d rather not yank that big thing out of there again (although, of course, I will if it comes down to that)…any ideas? Thanks for any help…

Hi Old Guy,

Same fitting in the head...They turned the shaft around to let the rockers ride on a new surface and cleaned up the rockers...apparently that's where the oil's bleeding past. Did you get my email about buying your extra rocker shaft?

• 3 weeks later...

Joe,

After comparing my cylinder head fitting with a picture of an original, it seems like I do not have an original cylinder head fitting...I just ordered 2 from the Buick Farm (one for a spare)...maybe that will help my oil pressure...I cleaned up and installed a good used rocker shaft and pressure went up to about 9.5psi at hot idle...if this fitting brings it to 11 or 12 I'll be happy.

Thank you for the perspective, Joe. smile.gif One more question for you...I did not have a numerical gauge on the car before, and just went by the dashboard gauge for comparison between pre and post rebuild. Is it possible that the amount of crud and sludge in the oil passages of the engine was causing an erroneously high reading, and now that the engine is clean and it's reading about the same or even a little lower, it's really higher? Just a thought I was curious about...