questions needing answers

backydmech

as previous posted have 40 lincoln continental. Due to alum head problems decided to go with cast (have ordered). Is torque on head bolts same? After I install heads and rebuild distributor (sent to jake today) next step is steering outer column and shifter. dash great shape, (appears repainted) is there a spray paint avaiable commercialy avaiable, acceptable to match the interior as the shift column is scratched up and I am going to have to purchase a replacement outer steering column. Another question, car set 11 years partially complete.. Engine rebuilt but one head off. Is it best to oil cyliners before rolling and what type oil in cylinders and case

The cast iron heads require a little more torque than the aluminum ones. The manual calls for 40 -50 ft/lbs were as the aluminum heads are 35-40 ft/lbs. I would use a little Marvel Mystery in the upper cylinders and also around the top of the valve stems to start with. You don't need a lot. Not knowing for sure what shape the engine is in it's hard to tell what kind/weight oil to use. Many guys use a good quality 20/50 but you may want to start "lighter" to see what kind of oil pressure you have.

peecher, Thanks, got off here for a few head gaskets just came in from earl. wow I am impressed by his fast service and he said he was in his 70s. sounds like 44 to 45 would be pefect torque had not about valve stems.. will make a note to start with 20/50 but engine complete overhauld. and was just started when leak showed up. do you know anything about paint question????

colorite refinishing listed under sources on this site has the correct paint in pint cans for steering column, shift lever, etc. my painter calls the color "old man tan" but colorite will know what you want if you tell them the year and model of your car. i used air brush sprayer with his paint and worked great. david