'64 - Was the wonderbar radio AM/FM?

Gary_N

Guest imported_Thriller

FWIW, my '66 Wildcat has factory AM/FM, so if it wasn't available in '64, there may be close enough matches out there to get something period correct.

<span style="font-style: italic">The Standard Catalog of Buick</span> lists AM-FM radio available for all full-size (i.e. not Special nor Skylark) cars.

You can get original AM/FM for the '64 full size Buick, no problem. Or you can get straight AM. Or you can get AM Wonderbar. All 3 radios are available, if you look around. All are transistor radios by '64.

Whatever you get, plan to get it restored for it to sound good, and put in new speaker(s). The old capacitors in the radios and the speakers go bad with time and the elements. I had my AM/FM restored this year and it really sounds great.

Here's the guy:

http://www.wonderbarman.com/

I will warn you up front, he is an artist and that makes him a bit touchy about what he does. Read his web pages and you will see what I mean. But I'll tell you, my radio sounds great, and that's what you're paying for.

I had a "line in" added while I was at it, so I can plug my mp3 player into it. It sounds great.

The radio was with him for about 8 months. He keeps them in the box that they are received in, in the order received, and he moves them up to his bench in lots of 5 units. When those 5 are done and shipped out, he moves the next lot of 5 up to the bench. I put an AM radio in the hole in the dash while he had the AM/FM.

YMMV.