Mystery Car - Circa 1922

peter bond

I need to know the make and year of the car in this picture in order to date the picture. The reason the picture is a little fuzzy is because the car is in the background of much large pic (see pic) which is bare of anything that can date it, except the clothes of the people in it which are vintage 1920's.

One thing that might help date the model and year of the car is that the picture was taken in Puerto Rico, and I'm sure there were not that many distributors of cars in PR.

Any help in trying to unravel the mystery will be greately appreciated.

BTW, you may have to File/Open the link on your browser, to see the pics. Hope it's not too much of an inconvenience but I can't get it to work with http or www included.

Thanks

Peter Bond

users.onelinkpr.net/maki0001/mysterycar.jpg

users.onelinkpr.net/maki0001/fotomist-1.jpg

Guest Leonard Shepherd

The shape of the rear window looks like a 20s Studebaker Duplex Phaeton. Some Studebakers also had a spare tire cover like that.

post-52673-143137951906_thumb.jpg

Guest 1956Packard

Sure looks like it, but there are some differences. ie bumper, headlights

Is that another vehicle on the left side on the boulevard - or maybe a statue. Wonder if that could be lightened??

Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1956Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure looks like it, but there are some differences. ie bumper, headlights

Is that another vehicle on the left side on the boulevard - or maybe a statue. Wonder if that could be lightened?? </div></div>

I lightened the photo and the objects on the left are bushes. I sent the picture to Dick Quinn who is the editor to the Antique Studebaker Club magazine and he thinks the car is a 27 Studebaker Duplex Phaeton which has the same top as the 25 but different bumpers & headlights.

post-52673-143137952023_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leonard Shepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shape of the rear window looks like a 20s Studebaker Duplex Phaeton. Some Studebakers also had a spare tire cover like that. </div></div>

You know, my friend here in Finland has a VERY original '24 Studebaker with that body style(exported from CA). I remember one day when we were at the local car meet and suddenly it started raining like hell... eek.gif

Guest 1956Packard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leonard Shepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lightened the photo and the objects on the left are bushes. </div></div>

LOL

Guess I should have taken the medication today.

Thanks to all that took time to inspect the picure above and especially to Mika who fixed the pictures so they could be viewed.

It seems the car was a Studebaker, especially wheh you look at the curvature on the side of the top/window. Now, is there a way to nail down the year that model came out? Is it a 1925 or 1927, or could it be an earlier model?

I really appreciate all your help.

Peter

The radiator mascot looks like the Atlanta Cap. (She was the Goddess that through gold apples on the ground to escape suitors). The Atlanta cap was introduced in 1927 when the temp gauge was put inside on the dash. 1925 and 1926 would have had a motor meter. I would say 1927.

Frank