1915 C-37 Wheel Hub Badly Needed

Mark Shaw

One of my Buick buddies needs to replace a rear hub to get his car back on the road. It is an eight bolt hub, the OD where it rests against the spokes is 9", the width from the spokes to the outer end of the hub cap threads is 3 3/4", and the OD of the hub cap threads is also 3 3/4".

Attached photos should help with identification. Please email me directly if you have a spare.

durcodude@comcast.net

post-41092-143137950933_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143137950938_thumb.jpg

Mark, I do not remmember seeing a trans. brake of any kind on my C-36 which is the same as the C-37. The only thing that I can think of is that the bronze throw-out bearing would put a drag on the cone clutch. There is a thrust ball bearing on the spring shaft. If that were to go bad it could prevent the clutch from dissengaging. Dave!

I may have. I will look and see what is in the reference book. I think the parts book shows a photo of the clutch parts but not in order. Just stuff on a white back ground. I will send you copies of what I have when I get time to dig the stuff out. This is Hershey week you know! Dave!

Sorry Mark, I dont have any hubs other than the ones on my car so I cannot help with a part. I just spent the last 3 days at Hershey and did not see any there either. Seems that there is very little availible for the B and C 36's and 37's You may have to have a new one cast and machined or see if the old one can be welded by a place that is equiped to do engine blocks and such. After going though problems with my C-36, and making new axle's I can tell you that the problem started the day the car was built as it appears that the axles were never fitted to the hubs very well on the producion line. I understand that this is a common problem with many of the early Buicks and probably other makes also. What I did to correct it was to lap the axles into the hubs for a perfect fit and made sure that the keys fit correctly. I could see why this would not have been economical to do on the production line. For what it is worth, here's the part number. 62516 sold with Hyatt bearing lining number 62235 and plug number 19007. Price in 1915, A whoping $10.50! Good Luck, Dave!

Thanks Dave.

The car belongs to my buddy Bud Rex in Portland.

He already took it to a machine shop that determined it could not be bored and re-fitted with an insert. He will try a welder next, but we are still hopeful to find a replacement on somebody's parts car.

Thanks again.