Starting the '65 after a A LONG TIME

rivman123

Any advice would be a big help on this topic. I'm preparing to start my 1965 Riviera after letting it sit for 2 1/2 years in my garage. I already know this is a sin and I feel bad for doing it.

Got the new battery, air filter, and cleaned the carb up a little. I did not put any fuel stabilizer in (2 1/2 years ago) as I did not intend to let it sit.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Getting the "old fuel" out and "fresh fuel" in is important. I've known of some people that mounted an electric fuel pump on a piece of board and used that to pump fuel out of the tank (prior to removing it for cleaning and possible repairs) and then use the same pump, with lots of rubber hose, to circulate fresh fuel with some carb cleaner in it though the fuel lines to get them clean. Of course, you'll need to dispose of the used/old fuel in a correct manner!

Other than that, you might remove the spark plugs and put a few squirts of light oil into the cylinders before you try to spin it over. Maybe even rig a pre-oiler for the end of a strong drill motor to pressurize the oil system prior to the initial start-up.

Of course, you can prime the carb through the float bowl vents to get a quick start-up. Cleaning the spark plugs (or replacing them) can help too.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I just went throught this proceedure after 12 years of being parked. The gas is the thing. I started with a replacement tank because mine was so corroded it looked like it was filled with coffee grinds. Paid throught he nose with GM Obsolete, but they were the only ones who had one. But there's more. I disconnected the solid fuel line at the pump end as well as the tank end. I used an air compressor to blow out the line. You wouldn' believe the junk that shot out. Once you see the funky things that happen to gas over time...sometimes a short time...it's no wonder these cars ever run again. Good luck. PRL