1976 Riviera S/R

24seven

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 1976 S/R Riviera with 61k original miles. It had been garaged for ten years and is very complete with Red interior/console and Pewter exterior with Landau top and stainless cross-bar. Interior is perfect. Body is straight but needs filler panels in rear and some side/trim door mouldings. Doesn't run yet!

Was the S/R supposed to replace the GS option or was it a trim upgrade? This car has road wheels and sits very low; does this imply the handling option? Where might I find the "build sheet?" Thanks for any/all replies

HenryJ SoCal New ROA Member

• Like 1

Hello! I have an identical car to yours, colors/interior/crown landau top and all! Currently have it "blown apart" physically; mechanicals are about done; has 120k+ miles. Yes, the S/R was a "gap" filler for the cancellation of the GS in '75. As you know, the S/R option was the only way to get a console, bucket seats in a '76 Riv.

This is a rare car, production wise. Please visit the ROA website and look under the "History of the Riviera," to the vintage of our cars. You'll find production #s, etc.

Let me know if I can help; send photos if you can. I'll try to figure out how to do this w/this website; never used it before! JT

Thanks to All who have posted Information and help. I will try to post some photos if possible. Any hints on where the build sheet might be hidden? Also was there an extra cost Handling Package for this year like the GS?

Thanks Aagain, HenryJ SoCal

I found a build sheet under the rear seat in both of the 75 Rivieras I have/had.

S/R (Sports/Ralley)option was also available for

197<span style="font-weight: bold">5</span> model year Apollo and Skylark models, and an US$256,- S/R package for the 1975 Regal 2 drs coupe.

For model year 197<span style="font-weight: bold">6</span> the price of the S/R package for the Regal 2 drs coupe was US$ 379,-

'76 Riviera S/R:

76RivieraSR1.jpg

76RivieraSR.jpg

In fact, the above photos of the 76 S/R comes out of my photo collection of 74 - 76 Rivieras which I collected over the years (eBay, craigs, meetings etc)

There is only one '76 Riviera S/R (build in 1975) here in the Netherlands, but that one is not well maintained unfortunately:

dsc05629ex1.jpg

dsc05628ar3.jpg

In The Netherlands I only know of

2 74's (of which one is a convertible)

1 75 (a GS)

and 2 76's (1 S/R)

a minority compared to the number of boattails we have here in this small country (at least 60 see: http://www.geocities.com/boattailsnl/ )

The S/R's seem to be coming out of hiding. Take a look at EBAY #180165431003; 1976 Black S/R with Moonroof and red interior as well as Console. 130K miles and opening bid of

$200 with reserve. Location is Fosston, Minnesota.

FYI, HenryJ SoCal ROA 11532

Update on my progress,

I dropped the gas tank to clean the fuel lines out and check for any gunk. Found the build sheet on top of the tank. Tank was almost dry, clean, and sender and sock looked great. Replaced the radiator and thermostat. Night before I added some WD-40 and oil, let her sit overnight, put in fresh plugs, and on the third try with a battery jumper, SHE cranked over and came to LIFE!!

It smokes a little, especially by that valve at the back of the driver side exhaust manifold. It goes to a vacuum source on the manifold. Anybody tell what this is for or cshould I just remove it?

Thanks HenryJ ROA11572

• 16 years later...