Bucket seats in a boattail?

Guest Gee_Rydes

Guest Gee_Rydes

Hello all,

I would like to install bucket seats in my 71 Riv. Do you guys know what other year Rivs or even other models/brands would be the correct to look like stock in 71?

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

I believe you will need to find a 71-72 bucket seated Riviera in a salvage yard to do a buckets/console swap. I think the 73 buckets "style" for the Riviera was completely different.

It's a bigger job then it looks in my opinion but can be done. Unfortunately, I think there were 2-3 levels of bucket seat trim in the 71. A basic style had ribs going horizontal and looks nice but is considered the base trim. Then there was a deluxe pattern. I believe all buckets were vinyl only but not absolutely certain.

In that case, you may have to redo the entire interior seating surfaces to match. Also consider that I believe a console was a part of any buckets package and that will require a shifter-less steering column.

I have owned a 71 Boattail with a 40/60 seating and although buckets and console are preferred, I enjoyed the car just as much, and it was a rust bucket daily driver.

I look at Boattails for their beautiful (IMO) styling and then look for the option list. Boattail styling is the same for every car, yours looks as good as the next, so maybe reconsider the seat swap.

Guest Gee_Rydes

Thanks for the info guys. If the only donor cars are 71 and 72 Rivs, the pickins may be slim and I'll stick with what I got.

Thanks again

Dave