Here's one worth less than the parts

Guest Jeffn

I picked up on that one last night sent an eMail and asked some questions. I was given a phone # to reply. I replied That Phone was difficult, but eMail was easy for me. sent another eMail this AM -- No answer yet!!

In my eMail I aso asked about the Umbrella, Tool Kit, Soft top is not mentioned (don't even know the color)and I would love to know the "Story" of this car. the description states it was stored. ~ BUT ~ was the oil ever changed etc.? It seems to sit kinda high?? I don't know of any model Good Year Double eagle with that logo. What kind of wheels? Is there a "Knock-Off" spline bolted to the axle??

I tried to get a "Car Check" report, and there are "No Records" for this vehicle.. I hate when the arrogance of the seller, don't make life easy. That creates a feeling of mistrust on my part.. In fact before I believe the 1300 mi I need a good story to convince me.. Lou

Well, I will trade 2 sets of original wheels for those Wires with the Knock Offs. So don't knock off much for that now. Notice the 0's on the tripometer. We usually see that when the notorious speedometers quit working, although 1300 miles is soon for them to quit. It is awfully nice to see a TC in this kind of condition every once in a while. I understand there is one never titled in a showroom in St. Louis, Mo. also. Now if someone can find me a 5 speed model like this, Oh yea, there is one of those in south florida with less than 1,000 miles. Right Rick? If the reserve was 15k, it would be a great deal. I bet reserve is more like 18k to 25k. I bet the soft top is perfect and Black. Jasper

Jasper,

Have you ever had wires? Wire Wheels have to be continually serviced. Every 5,000 to 10,000 miles they must be trued by a tech very familiar with wires. They are trued by rotating the wheel and tightening the selected spokes. Do you notice that I said "tighten", that is because you should very carefully adjust the tension on the wires and try very hard not to loosen any.(don't overtighten) most is by feel.(a lot of experience). Do you know anyone who has that capability anymore?.. ~ BUT ~ If this car was really stored well, the Fondmetal wheels would still shine and the clearcoat would be still intact. That would be great.. Lou

I have often thought about picking up a set of Kelsey Hayes wires for my T-bird. Then I think about the "tuning" that the wheels require and, like Lou says, finding someone who really knows how to tune the wheels. After about 10 seconds, my original steel wheels and original near-mint 41 year old hub caps don't look so bad. laugh.gif

Jasper, sounds like you don't know about that black Texas 16V with 865 miles on it cool.gif...I'd Better not say anymore, you may try to chase it down wink.gif

Lou, it's obvious you have a ton of car experience, however don't make the assumption that other folks here don't. You've done that to me here a couple times frown.gif I am willing to bet Jasper has experience with wire wheels...

Hey Twin Cam,

I write without Malice, If Jasper Does, That's Cool, He can tell me so. Also There are many folks tuned into this station, and they get the benefit of a different opinion or at least a different perspective.

As for making my answer sounding like you are not experienced, I'm sorry that is never my intent even if i think so; ~ but ~ I think it makes for a more interesting passing of info and most times if we don't get something going we only get part of the info, or story..

In Friendliness, Lou

Back to the original intent of the post!!

Did anyone get any further info on this car?? I keep asking for eMail Info and they keep giving me the phone#.

It may be that they will not commit to paper. ??

Oh Well, Lou

It is not that I have that much knowledge about wire wheels, it's just that I am not planning on driving on them but a thousand miles a year, so that will keep the servicing down to a minimum. Ha Ha

Also looks from the added window sticker that the wires and tires may have been added or swapped when new. Wouldn't it be great if the original tires and wheels were put up somewhere and come with it? YEA!!!!

Now Alan, what about this Black 5 speed in texas? Give me a general area in texas. You know within 500 square miles or so? Jasper

I have been in conversation with them and I can tell you that just like the original dealerships, they know nothing about the car. They didn't know they had a tool kit and umbrella until i told them where to look, and different from the original. most were sold with Chryslers Chrystal Guarantee. I still don't like the way it sits. it just looks too high.. Lou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LouZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it just looks too high.. Lou </div></div>

The price?

Guest Stephen Lyons

I just wanted to make a comment regarding the occasional TC that turns up with this kind of original mileage.

Remember that the TC was a new vehicle during the last collectible car "bubble" (as opposed to the current one) when anything with four wheels that was the least bit out of the ordinary could be, & often was, touted as an "investment."

This perception resulted in some TC's being bought new & stashed away in anticipation of appreciation (the monetary kind, not the aesthetic). This, of course, never happened, but some of these cars have nevertheless continued to reign as garage queens up to the present time, & often see the light of day only as part of an estate, or because of the final capitulation of the owner. I don't think a really large quantity of TC's were so stored, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number was as high as a few dozen.

The thing about this particular car that I find inexplicable is those tires & wheels. Not what a car hoarder would typically do.

Hi car chick, I'm looking for the rubber gusset that sits on the back side of the passanger side window ,that keeps the rain out. Also the passenger side front turn signal lens ,I see you don't have it but thought some one reading this might . Thanks .Jo Ann

Hey Stephen,

That's part of what I mean, Tires, Wheels,& sits too high on it's suspension. It took a couple of days to start, but we had a running conversation until I asked about those tires, and wheels specifically, I was told they were "Double Eagle" Tires & Wheels. My answer was "the only double eagle tires I know are Good Year, and they don't look like them. The seller was going to check with the owner. I have had no answer since..And when I checked with "Car check" there were NO records of this vehicle. It could have been held by a dealer, or some exec. at a dealership..

I could be Completely Wrong, but It just don't set well with me. Lou

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hi car chick, I'm looking for the rubber gusset that sits on the back side of the passanger side window ,that keeps the rain out. Also the passenger side front turn signal lens ,I see you don't have it but thought some one reading this might . Thanks .Jo Ann </div></div>

You will have to talk to LouZ about the turn signal lens - I sold mine to him. wink.gif As for the rubber gusset - I'm not quite sure what you mean - is it the piece that goes between the two windows or is it along the beltline?

Thanks for getting back to me .This piece of rubber is on the passenger side .If you open the door you can see it ,as you face the door it is on the left side of the door next to the dash area,but on the door as you roll the window up ,the window slides up into it. I am not literate on car parts ,hope this discription helps. Also the rubber boot on the axel is torn, will a la Baron part work on this 91 TC? Jo Ann

Hi Jo Ann,

If the axle does not make any noise, or cause any vibrayion, it is possible to replace just the rubber boot. Inside that boot is a constant velocity joint, that joint is made up of a piece of steel on the inside with rounded groves that steel balls fit into, these balls fit into a steel cage that holds them seperated, then another piece of steel with rounded slots fits on the outside. and it's all smeared with grease. for long life it must remain very clean, no water and it is a rather complicated assembly to dissassemble and reassemble.

I told you all this so you would understand why we don't mess with them, we replace them. there are a couple of rebuilders in the country that supply almost all of the stores that sell parts. Let me know what part of the country you are. and I'll suggest. Lou

Hey Jo Ann, Car Chick Messaged that she sent me the piece you want a while back, I'll check it today and let you know. If that's it, I think 10 bucks incl. shipping would do it.. Now that's the triangular piece that's kinda behind the mirror that is in the front of the door right at the bottom of the windshield corner?? Lou

All I know, is it looks like someone has learned how to ask questions about a car on ebay before buying it. Not mentioning any names or anything, {ha ha} but here is the simple question the buyer had for the seller before putting in his final bid to buy.

Q: Hi, I own 3 of these, I'm selling 1, and I want to replace it with another "low mileage" TC. My wife's has 22,647mi. Are the lights all good, no cracks, or chips,in the glass lenses, do you have the plastic protectors lens protectors??? How are the windows,any chips, or cracks, & do the go up & down good?? How's the engine, & trans. any leaks, smoke, run good, shift good, belts been changed? Was the engine pickled when it was stored, or just put away, when was the oil changed last?? How are the tires, brakes, brake fluid ever been flushed, accumulator ever been changed? Are the struts, & shocks still original? How about wheel alignment? How is the interior, does the odometer work,all the switches good, radio & antenna, arm rest, seats, rugs? Is your soft top vinyl or cloth, what color is it, is it mouldy from being stored?? How are the opera windows, Cloudy? "Whew" Thanks,

Seriously, Congrats to the lucky buyer of the nice 1 owner low milage TC on ebay. The prices are on their way up boys and girls. Everyone better get one or two while we can still afford them. JASPER