Question on reasonable price for 88 coupe

KDirk

Hi all,

I have a question for those who have bought/sold reatta(s) or otherwise follow their value. I have a line on a 1988 white over burgundy as follows:

- first, it is local (no road trip to pick it up!)

- has 100,000 Miles

- all electronics seem to be working (IPC, CRT most notably)

- body is average, some rock chips and some gaps/light scratches in side moldings

- interior is surprisingly good for a car this age/miles, some light wear on seats and carpets are a bit faded.

- missing factory cassette (hole in console with harness hanging out, can't be too hard to find one)

- has deep wiper scratch in lower center of windshield - may polish out, not sure. Otherwise, glass is fairly decent.

- A/C works

- some minor interior trim issues, nothing major that can't be fixed or found here or ebay.

Anyway, the guy is waiting on the title to sell it (says a week or two) and quoted "a couple of thousand dollars" as the likely sale price when he's ready to sell.

Any thoughts on whether this is a fair price (or a deal) or do I talk him down or pass on it? I really want a 90, but this 88 is clean enough that if it is a deal, it might be worth investment to clean it up, make minor repairs, drive it for a few months and then resell at a modest profit.

Since blue book prices don' really reflect the true market value of these cars, I was wondering what the Reatta obsessed here had to say about it.

Thanks,

KDirk

A very nice Reatta with "well over 100K" might bring $3000-4000 but more likely $2000-3000.

The only way to find out is to put it up for sale with a price and lots of pictures. If it sells, the price was right, If it doesn't, then the prospective buyers do not feel the condition justifies the asking price.

Guest mongeonman

Someone in Quebec city about 500 km from here has a 1989 with 14000 original miles for sale for 8500 canadian or about 7200 us.I think it will sell for less,if it does beacause it is not that popular around here.I would love to have it.