Help installing after market keyless entry.

Ronnie

Did all the '88 models have the same wiring harness or was the harness different for models that had keyless entry from the factory?

I want to install a keyless entry system on my '88 model but I don't know where to start or where to look for the wires needed to connect it. Is there a central location where I can find all the wires needed? Has anyone done this before that could offer some help? It would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Vincent for pointing that out. I guess I should revise my post to say the following:

I want to install a keyless entry system on my '88 model but I don't know where to start or where to look for the wires needed to connect it. Is there a central location where I can find all the wires needed? Has anyone done this before that could offer some help? It would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the information. That will give me a place to start looking. If any other details come to mind, they would be appreciated.

I see from your profile that you are a military man. I want to personally thank you for everything that you do for our country. People like you make it possible for us to enjoy the freedom that we have here in the USA. I want you to know that I appreciate it.

I know it is a long shot, but this is GM we're talking about. Check behind the plastic(from inside of car, left of the driver's door, near were the the lower part of the seatbelt bolts in). This is the factory location for the anti-theft box. May be the wireharness was placed there. Like I said, it is a long shot but who knows until some one checks.

Guest neroco2

Sometimes letting a pro do this is actually cheaper and comes with a warranty. I had a stereo shop put a keyless entry on my 1986 Camaro last year for $119. This was about the same price I would have had to pay for the parts if I did the work.

See what happens if you shop around first.

neroco2@comcast.net

Thanks for the buying advice. I appreciate it. But I already have the keyless system. Besides that I take a lot of pride in being able to say I did it myself. I purchased my Reatta because I am retired and wanted something to tinker with in my spare time. I have a lot more time than I do money so doing it myself when I can makes good economic sense for me.

I have a unused GM aftermarket kit. The unit has never been used. The box says Keyless security system Gm part number #132344681 VSS 200 Car must have Power Door Locks. Instructions are in the box and include Wire Color Chart 1994-1995. Nice unit if you like OEM stuff and can install it. The nice part is the Remotes (2) Look OEM and say GM on them. If interested send me a Private Message

CHAS1, I appreciate the offer but, as stated previously, I already have a keyless entry kit. I also have a wiring diagram that came with the kit, that shows what each wire coming from the unit does.

I just don't know where to find the wires on the Reatta that I need to connect to. What I really need is a Reatta wiring diagram that shows where each wire runs inside the car.

Ok it comes back to me now thus I have edited this message.

I removed the driver side door panel on my 1989 Riviera and taped into the Lock Unlock switch next to the door handle. You can mount the receiver under the dash and tap into the fuse box for a hot fuse.

Charlie

there is no reason to pull off your door panel. al the wires have to leave the door, and our panels and plastic rivits are kind of fragile. I would go to Reatta.net and find the wiring diagram for the door locks. My point is, leave the panels alone, they are hard to find, repair, or replace.

If I find the door lock wires, my next hurdle will be to find out how and where I will find the wires I need to disable the factory security system. Once you lock the doors with the power lock button and shut the door the security system stays armed until you unlock the car with the KEY to disarm it. Using the power unlock button will NOT disarm the factory security system. The keyless entry kit that I have has the wiring needed to disarm the factory security system. It's just a matter of finding the correct wires inside the car to connect to.

Thanks for all the help so far!

There is a green wire that is used for that, but I forget the position. Hey if you have a factory anti-theft unit in the car then it is placed were I discribed earlier. you can just dis conect it all together and use the exsisting wiring frome it to install your keyless entry.