41LC advice for stuck valve

Paul K.

I am getting closer to getting this 41 on the road but it appears I have a valve stuck open (or hole in a piston) in the # 1 left bank cylinder. Compression is zero psi. Compression is 105 psi in the # 3 right bank cylinder. All other cylinders are 120-130 psi dry. I can live with the 105 psi hole. I have never worked on a flathead before but it looks like I can get to the valve and spring if I remove the intake manifold. Any remedies from the experienced on the forum?

Thanks,

You might try this: remove all the sparkplugs so the engine will roll over easy. Put about a 1/2 cup of Kroil into the #1 cylinder and turn the engine over a few times with the spark plug back in on that cylinder. This will pump the Kroil past either or both of the exposed valve stems. They may come free after a couple of "doses" followed by several turn overs. If they don't come loose then you'll have to remove the intake manifold and using a Ford valve bar pry the valve(s) down. If the hydraulic tappet has filled with oil it will be very difficult to pry the valve down. Hopefully you'll see a "gap" between the valve stem and the plunger on the tappet when the tappet in in the full down ( on the heel of the cam) position. If you are able to pull the valve down then you can continue this process a few times by rotating the engine to open the valve then rotate the engine so that the valve can be pulled down. Working the valve up and down will aid in getting the Kroil to work it's way down the stem(s). Patience will be required.

If the valve(s) won't come loose then the next step would be to remove the cylinder head and the valve, guide and spring assembly and repair as necessary. The hydraulic tappet could removed at this time and cleaned if desired.

Hope you get it loose, good luck.