confused about 34 Ford Flathead V8 starting, need help

Hi Folks,

Can you tell me if the 1934 Ford Flathead V8 had a Starting Solenoid used on it.

Haven't been able to find one for a 34...Thought maybe I should ask if I'm looking for the wrong part?

I'm having problem starting my 34 and someone told me to check the Solenoid. My Coupe was running great...then one day I pushed on the starter button & only heard "click".

I've tested the battery with a volt meter and it reads 6.2 volts and the connections are good. I assume next I should check the starter button & starter. But I'm not sure what's the best way to proceed, electronics knowledge is limmited.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

T'sDad

post-53088-14313794265_thumb.jpg

Thank's JFranklin,

Yes I found out the same thing. "they <span style="text-decoration: underline">didn't</span> have solenoids". So I'm thinking about testing the starter button with the battery disconected and an Ohem meter. Then I guess lastly the starter itself?

If you have any other suggestions...I'm always willing to listen and learn.

Thanks again

OK here is my list to check. First I would try a different battery or jumper from another, make sure the cables are tight and the ground cable actually makes a solid ground, Use proper gauge cables, (0 or00). if this fails to give any usefull information bypass the starter switch and jump direct to the starter. If it works repair or replace the switch if not than pull the starter and repair it. Also maybe the bendix is stuck in the flyweel gear. if so you can put it in third and rock the car back and forth and usually it will dislodge. Good luck and post your results.

Hey JFranklin,

Thanks for the check list... It seems that the starter is bad. Can you tell me how to remove it from the engine? It looks like it is attached to the side of the oil pan. I see no nuts or bolts holding it to the pan? I'm use to seeing a flange with two or three bolts fastening it to the engine (in a modern car)

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
Guest austinsailor

If you're checking the voltage with a meeter, it may be that you have a very corroded or bad connection. If you check with no current flowing, it may read the correct voltage, but when you hit the starter the resistance is so high it all drops right there. Your description sounds like this could be possible.

Locate each connection in your circuit, starting with the battery posts. Each connection could be your problem. Put your meter on the connection you are testing, then have someone hit the starter. Checking across the battery posts, you should still see a reasonable voltage. If not, the problem is in the battery. Move out one connection and try again. From the ground post of the battery to the cable on the hot side. If your voltage drops when the starter is hit, that connection is the problem.

Try the hot post to the ground cable. If it drops there, the ground connection to the battery is it. Then move to ground, if it drops then, your cable to ground connection is it. Just keep on, one connection at a time until you are on the lug going into the starter.