Is the harmoic balancer bolt left hand thread?

Ronnie

I'm trying to remove the large bolt that holds the balancer to the crankshaft. I can't get it to turn, even with a 1/2" impact wrench or a 24" breaker bar. Are the treads possibly left hand? If not, any ideas on getting the bolt out?

It is standard. Clockwise to tighten. They are very tight. One good way to get it to break loose is to remove the small black cover on the flywheel and clamp some vise grips to the flywheel. When the flywheel rotates the vise grips will stop it at the edge of the block.

Thanks Jim,

Vise grips are what I used to hold the flywheel. That was not the problem. I just could not break the bolt loose. I was afraid it my be left hand like the tensioner pulley bolt. My 1/2" breaker bar was flexing a lot and the bolt still would not come loose. It was getting to the point that I was worried that it might break.

Looks like I will need to get it up on a rack and borrow a 3/4" drive, socket and breaker bar. Then use a cheater pipe for leverage.

Is the bold required to be that tight?

Guest kennyw

put a socket and long breaker bar on the bolt and jam the breaker bar in the frame. Then just a tap of the [key] starter and the bolt will turn out.....Padgettet and I did it about 4 years ago to change a crank sensor and I just had to replace [that] crank sensor again. It works like a charm. Not for the timid............ken

That might be what I will have to do. I believe I will save that as a last resort. Sounds a little scary. shocked.gif Maybe there is a way to lock the bar in place so there is no chance of it coming loose and hitting something.

Thanks for the help!

As usual I used the last resort (using the starter)first. smile.gif The bolt came right out. Rest of installing the balancer was easy. Slide old one off and slide new one on. Thanks kennyw for the tip!

That's why I love this forum. It's like having Mr. Goodwrench waiting to help. Thanks to everyone on this forum for making it so useful!

Guest kennyw

glad to see another brave soul out there........after you try everything else this is just about magic..........ken