Another subject for discussion

Restorer32

Yellow cad plating. When was it first used on auto parts? I'm beginning to see yellow cad on cars from the '30s and even earlier. I have seen some repro Model A parts out there with yellow cad plating. Even saw a 1937 Packard with yellow cad carburetor linkages. The judges manual speaks to the nickle vs chrome question. Shouldn't the use of yellow cad plating in place of the proper silver cad also be grounds for a points deduction on cars built prior to its introduction? In anticipation of the inevitable comment that will arise....I know this subject should more properly be addressed to those who interpret and codify the rules. I have, in fact, brought up this subject numerous times already at the Annual Meetings in various judging schools, seminars etc. I apologize in advance if this post seems argumentative or abrasive. I don't mean it to be, that's just my personality!

Guest bkazmer

compared to radials, there is little question on the safety aspect here. Using a similar appearing treatment to simulate cadmium should be no deduction. Cadmium's industrial use is banned in most applications.

There is currently no deduction for the use of alternate materials to simulate the appearance of cad. My question has to do with yellow vs silver cad, real or simulated. When was "Yellow" cad plating first used on automobiles? Should there be a deduction for the use of yellow cad (or a substitute) where silver cad was originally used, similar to the deduction for chrome where nickle was originally specified? I would like to see a one line statement in the judging guidelines stating when yellow cad was first used, similar to the guidelines currently in place re radial tires, chrome and plastic valve caps for instance.

Guest windjamer

Restorer has a real good point, but this might be a slipery slope. My 65 skylark gs has power brakes The booster is painted simi gloss black.I have been told by (Informed persons) that it should be cad plated. I know mine is correct. My step son had a 65 skylark gs his booster was cad. plated. His is also correct. How come? Bendix is black delco morene was cad.Please be sure befor deducting pts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Please be sure befor deducting pts. </div></div>

Owners, proper documentation from the factory/dealer literature for your vehicle. Make sure you have it. Magazine articles are not proper documentation. If you can't find what you need at auto flea markets (or you don't want to walk for days at Hershey tired.gif) contact our wonderful AACA Library and Research Center for help.

Judges, if you aren't sure ask your Captain to ask the owner for documentation of anything you are not sure of.

Go by those rules and you can't go wrong.